Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have terrible indigestion - rennies aren't working, any other suggestions PLEASE!

(40 Posts)
ArnoldAndHisHat Tue 19-Jul-11 10:39:17

My stomach has been hurting for two days. I'm going to the loo normally (sorry if TMI), I do get heartburn so I am used to Rennies doing the trick but this just won't shift. It's high up, just under my breast bone and spreading round to my lower back as well. Please can anyone suggest anything, this is miserable and I'm going on holiday in a couple of days. I'm fine otherwise so I really don't think it is anything else.
Thanks.

Curiousmama Tue 19-Jul-11 10:41:12

teaspoon of bicarb in water. Piece of dry bread (no butter) Remegel work better for me than rennies.

If this is ongoing have you been to the Gp?

Madlizzy Tue 19-Jul-11 10:43:51

I think you ought to have a check up at the GP's surgery.

Curiousmama Tue 19-Jul-11 10:53:19

Was going to say the same madlizzy, especially seen as the pain goes to the back.

Any pain in your arm?

ArnoldAndHisHat Tue 19-Jul-11 11:19:54

No, no pain in my arm, honestly I'm fine! It's sort of like that pain you get when you are really really hungry sort of a pressing pain but not owwwww. it's more uncomfortable than painful but it is constant and in my back too. I really want to avoid going to GP if possible, I have a million things to do today. I'm going to try a teaspoon of bicarb now!

Curiousmama Tue 19-Jul-11 11:29:50

Well if it is wind be ready for serious burping wink

ArnoldAndHisHat Tue 19-Jul-11 11:31:32

Lol! I will alert the neighbourswink

AuntieMonica Tue 19-Jul-11 11:31:52

just wondered, have you been taking anti inflammatories/aspirin at all?

ArnoldAndHisHat Tue 19-Jul-11 11:34:37

Bleurrgh ack ack blargh ackkk. That was vile shock. I have burped once already though <happy days> smile

Gaviscon Advance is your friend.........smile

ArnoldAndHisHat Tue 19-Jul-11 11:35:45

No, no other medication, am a reasonably healthy sort otherwise apart from this ruddy indigestion.

Curiousmama Tue 19-Jul-11 11:36:57

Yes it is rather vile

AuntieMonica Tue 19-Jul-11 11:37:27

ok, it's not that then..happy burping smile

Kewcumber Tue 19-Jul-11 11:42:25

go to your GP but as a temporary measure you can buy half prescription strength over the counter proton pump inhibitors like lansoprazole from the chemist, not instant releif but will be the only effective solution for your holidays. Can't remember how many days it took to work (am on them for life now so its been a while since I started).

Having acid buring your oesophagus perpetually is not good and IIRC predisposes you to cancer of the oesphagus. So a) you must get it investigated to rule out an underlying cause if its that bad b) you must revent it (not damp it down with a bit of chalk rennie)

From memory I think you can take gavison with lansoprazole until it kicks in.

Make clear to the pharmacist that you have a doctors appt to investigate it or they will probably refuse to sell to you and will tell you to see your GP.

THEN SEE YOUR GP WHEN YOU GET BACK!

schroeder Tue 19-Jul-11 11:45:47

You need Asda Indigestion relief tablets which are only £1 at the moment. Or any other make of Ranitidine.

It is brilliant stuff and was only available on prescription until a few years ago. Takes an hour or two to kick in but then works all day.

I would advise you not to get a second packet though, if it comes back after you stop taking them, get yourself checked out at the GP; They can mask the symptoms of something more serious.

ArnoldAndHisHat Tue 19-Jul-11 11:50:43

Thanks Kew smile My pharmacist is lovely and has know me for 12 years so hopefully I can persuade her. I had a prescription about 6 months ago for bemeprezole (or something like that for reflux which worked brilliantly). I haven't had it since. Maybe I could get a repeat prescription of that from the doctor? Would that do the trick?

Chandon Tue 19-Jul-11 11:52:44

I think the only really good thing is Zantec.

it works best.

I'm the expert ....sadly

Kewcumber Tue 19-Jul-11 11:57:40

never heard of bemeprezole - BEMETRAZOLE is an antibiotic?

Ealingkate Tue 19-Jul-11 12:00:03

Alkaline Foods

While few foods actually prevent indigestion, there are some alkaline foods that neutralize stomach acid, reducing the occurrence. Alkaline foods can keep the acid levels from reaching uncomfortable levels. Foods that balance the stomach's acid levels include almonds, yogurt, bananas, avocados, apples, spinach, chocolate, soy, tofu and mineral water.

Neutral Foods

Neutral foods will not effect the acid levels in your stomach. Consuming these foods rarely causes indigestion, and they are sensible alternatives to foods known to cause the condition. Neutral foods include lettuce, corn, sweet potatoes, fish, rice and peas.

Acidic foods

Certain foods stimulate acid production in the stomach, which can cause indigestion. Food known to produce acid include those that are spicy, greasy, high in fat, high in caffeine or contain alcohol. Specific acid forming foods include milk, sour cream, processed foods, beer, soda, coffee, processed foods, tomato products and hot sauce.

Indigestion Diet Tips

Indigestion may be caused by what you eat, but it may also be influenced by how or when you eat. Regardless of the type of foods you eat, eating fast, over eating, eating too late or eating to deal with an emotional situation have all been known to cause indigestion. To prevent this from happening, MedLine Plus recommends allowing adequate time to eat, chewing all food thoroughly, eating two hours before bed time and avoiding emotional or stressful conversations during meals.

Read more: www.livestrong.com/article/370333-diet-to-prevent-indigestion/#ixzz1SY1E8uqM

This might help too.

Ealingkate Tue 19-Jul-11 12:01:01

I just noticed that chocolate is good for indigestion!!

Neverlandpirate Tue 19-Jul-11 12:01:15

I am sadly also an expert in stomach acid (and gall bladders and liver)sad

I would also recommend gaviscon advance, I get the mint one on prescription. It is thicker than ordinary antacid liquids and so coats your stomach better to dampen down the indigestion or acid. It can be taken with proton pump tablets like omeprazole (zoton) or ranitidine.

I find that ranitidine (Zantac) made me really queasy so my gp has given omeprazole instead.

Avoid caffeine, fruit juices, spicy food and alcohol until the pain and symptoms are better. Best of luck. Go see your gp when you can as you will be able to get checked over and given the meds on prescription.

eragon Tue 19-Jul-11 13:46:18

hot peppermint tea. and rennies, works for me!

Twosugarsplease Tue 19-Jul-11 17:40:57

Gaviscon (liquid ) every time ! I used to drink the bloody stuff, it gives almost instant relief, I'm sure you can take up to 4 tsps every 3 hours. Check the dosage. I used to get it bad after my c section, I had gaviscon handy from getting heartburn as very similar, I highly recommend it,get plenty for your hols too. Have a lovely time x

chocoholic Tue 19-Jul-11 17:45:23

I'm another fan of ranatidine.
I had it prescribed a few years ago to get rid of terrible indigestion (so much stomach pain and feeling like I had to be sick rather than the obvious burning pain).
Now if I feel it coming on I just buy something like Zantac, where it is the active ingredient, and it goes really quickly.

Rennies are rubbish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now