Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anyone convince me I won't be laughed out of the doctors office?

(44 Posts)
BooBooGlass Mon 18-Jul-11 20:32:50

My dp has persuaded me to go to the doctor tomorrow as I've just been feeling very 'off'. I feel quite lightheaded and dizzy a lot of the time and just wiped out, so tired that it's making it difficult just to get through the day. I have had blurred vision in one eye for about a month or so, and was sick just out of the blue one evening last week. It's just making me feel rubbish sad I think he's most likely to tell me to get lost tbh. I eat a good diet, and drink plenty. I've been taking vitamins for the last 2 weeks and it's made no difference at all. Are they likely to do a blood test to see if I'm deficient in anything? I had a tooth infection about 6 or 7 weeks ago, then had a horrible virus a few weeks after that, so maybe I'm just still recovering? I know it all sounds very vague, but is it even worth keeping the appointment? I don't want to waste their time.

piprabbit Mon 18-Jul-11 20:34:46

I think you've got a very exciting collection of symptoms grin and nobody is going to laugh at you.

I'm not going to give you an excuse to back out now you actually have an appt.

missorinoco Mon 18-Jul-11 20:35:16

Go. They may do a blood screen, not sure, but they won't laugh you out. If things get better soon then you can be reassured, and if not, you will regret not going earlier and your DP will tell you he told you so.

Good luck.

BooBooGlass Mon 18-Jul-11 20:36:16

Exiting eh? Well maybe my doctor will relish the challenge...

ledodgy Mon 18-Jul-11 20:38:11

No you won't be laughed out, you need to go so they can do blood tests to rule out some stuff and give you any treatment should you need it.

tigana Mon 18-Jul-11 20:38:13

lightheaded, dizzy and tired - I suspect a blood test ( thinking anaemia, but I am no expert).
Likewise blurry vision can be linked to sheer knackeredness.

could be a post-viral something or other - def worth getting it checked out.

Honneybunny Mon 18-Jul-11 20:38:31

a good gp won't laugh.
i am glad your dp is sending you to see the doctor. it sounds like you have done all in your power to get over your virus and your tooth infection, so if you are still feeling bad it is worth getting a checkup! hope you feel better soon.

BooBooGlass Mon 18-Jul-11 20:43:58

Brilliant, I'll go with my sad little list of symptoms tomorrow wink

Bunbaker Mon 18-Jul-11 20:46:04

Are you drinking lots and going to the toilet more often? Can I suggest that you take a urine sample along as well.

RoadArt Mon 18-Jul-11 20:46:13

Just make sure you mention all the symptons, write them down if necessary

BooBooGlass Mon 18-Jul-11 20:48:40

Not drinking that any more than usual tbh, may be going more often blush Are you thinking diabetes? We don't have it in my family and am a healthy weight, don't drink or smoke if those are factors.

jugglingmug Mon 18-Jul-11 20:49:08

Nope, think DP is right to be persuading you to see GP.

Any weight loss?

create Mon 18-Jul-11 20:49:24

Dr won't laugh. Hope you feel better soon. Those are my pregnancy symptoms BTW.....

foxinsocks Mon 18-Jul-11 20:50:08

it's definitely worth getting checked out

I have a great diet. I had a blood test and I was hugely deficient in vitamin B (2 of them, especially vit B12 and I think B1/B6). It took about 2 months of vitamins to make a difference and boy what a difference it made. I am hoping to qualify for the vitb12 injection.

I would NEVER have known had I not had a blood test. And I put it off for months and months!

BooBooGlass Mon 18-Jul-11 20:50:54

No weight lost afaik. And I'd better not be bloody pregnant, I'm on the pill shock
<has heebiejeebies>

BooBooGlass Mon 18-Jul-11 20:51:48

With the blood test, are the B vitamins something I have to ask them to test for or do they screen for everything?

TeamEdward Mon 18-Jul-11 20:52:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

travellingwilbury Mon 18-Jul-11 20:52:47

You will not be wasting their time at all . I would have thought they will do blood tests too .

FWIW I had similar symptoms and a general feeling of bleurgh and it turned out I don't process B12 I have an injection every 10 weeks now and it has been a bit of a miracle cure .

bonkers20 Mon 18-Jul-11 20:57:49

TeamEdward isn't taking a bottle of urine similar to taking your knickers off when all they meant you to remove was your jumper?!

BooBooGlass Mon 18-Jul-11 20:59:42

Ha! I have literally nothing to cart any wee to the doctors in. And the appointment is immediately after the school run, I don't fancy that falling out while I scramble for a dinner ticket. I once took a sample in in a sippy cup blush
<disclaimer: twas binned straight after>

foxinsocks Mon 18-Jul-11 21:02:42

I always take wee and they look at me as if I'm deranged. I say no wee unless asked ;-).

They should test for vitB if you mention you are tired.

I was astonished especially as I love green vegs. Appears I don't process it well either though they are hesitant to give me the injections (cost cutting I think!).

foxinsocks Mon 18-Jul-11 21:04:26

(and meat and eggs and all the things vitB is in)...

yes I would do a pregnancy test too. Sounds v pregnancy like. They may well ask if you've done one. Might as well pre-empt it.

BooBooGlass Mon 18-Jul-11 21:04:54

That's interesting fox. I assumed tbh that I had a good diet. I hadn't thought that the problem isn't with my diet but with ME iyswim. I have a good big salad every single day

BooBooGlass Mon 18-Jul-11 21:06:12

Am ignoring all suggestions of pregnancy. Trust me, with the morning sickness I've had both times I would KNOW. I will be mortified if I am made to do a test.

TheProvincialLady Mon 18-Jul-11 21:07:25

Do take a urine sample. I sometimes do and I have never been laughed at - the GP is always grateful as it saves time.

Don't take a stool sample though, that would be a step too far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now