Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

mouth ulcers and sensitive mouth...

(11 Posts)
curlyLJ Sun 17-Jul-11 21:51:50

About a month ago, I developed a mouthful of ulcers and it was excruciatingly painful for about a week. Went to the walk-in centre, but was just told it can be brought on by stress etc and not to expect them to disappear overnight, and erm, that was it. Oh and to rinse with salt water or mouthwash...

4 weeks on and I am still getting them, particularly on the sides and tip of my tongue (little white spots that feel like needles - but not like mouth thrush, so I am pretty sure it's not that) and my tongue constantly has the feeling that I have burnt it by drinking something too hot. My whole mouth is also particularly sensitive to spice and even things like brown sauce and toothpaste are irritating it quite a bit.

Does anyone have any ideas as this is beginning to get me down - I have tried the mouthwash (corsodyl alcohol-free), salt water, changing to sensitive toothpaste, avoiding spicy foods, taking L-Lysine supplements (which someone recommended) and they just keep recurring, though not as bad as that first bout.

Is it worth a trip to the GP, or will they just fob me off like the walk-in centre did?
Please help!!

NoWittyName Mon 18-Jul-11 09:09:03

TBH I would try the dentist rather than the GP. However, repeated ulcers could be due to low vitamin B I believe so you could end up just being sent back to GP to have blood tests!

Being an ulcer sufferer I know it's a horrible thing and will definitely get you down so I do suggest you see someone be it GP or dentist. There are various things you can try, including a paste you put on the ulcers that is like cement. It's hideous to use but works amazingly - adcortyl in orabase.

Hope things get sorted. xx

bandgeek Mon 18-Jul-11 09:19:58

I also get mouth ulcers when I'm run down. Its really annoying and feels horrible! I get them from eating certain foods too, like pineapple so have to avoid it which is a shame because i love it! Agree the dentist would be the vest person to speak to.

memphis83 Mon 18-Jul-11 09:22:45

I have vitamin B12 deficiency, after all my childhood going to dentist and doctors when I was 18 I demanded blood tests and I came back as severly B12 deficient, I now have injections and tablets for B12 and dont have them much, im 3 weeks late for last injection and my mouth errupted into masses of ulcers it has shown how the B1 has made it better, if doctors wont do a blood test take B12 suppliments and vitamin C, get the B12 from Holland and Barratts the ones from supermarkets arent as strong.

Oh and to help them at the minute get Bongela complete its a liuid that forms a film over it for a few hours, when it first goes on it stings badly but it then eases it enough to eat and drink, my local chemist told me not to use normal bonjela and anbesol as it feeds the ulcer and harbours the infection.

curlyLJ Tue 19-Jul-11 19:53:49

Thanks for the replies. Hadn't thought of going to the dentist - might give that a try... It's just weird that this started all of a sudden and I have never suffered from ulcers in the past (coldsores yes, ulcers no), but it is the sore/burnt feeling tongue that I don't get - can that be from vit B12 deficiancy too does anyone know?

Thanks again...

BooBooGlass Tue 19-Jul-11 19:56:13

Is there hand foot and mouth around at your dc's school? I caught it a few weeks ago and it was horrible, I had a mouth full of very painful ulcers as my only symptom

BooBooGlass Tue 19-Jul-11 19:57:20

I got a tube of 'sore mouth gel' from Boots which helped with the pain- without it I couldn't eat or drink shock

curlyLJ Tue 19-Jul-11 20:03:39

How long did it last BooBooGlass? I did wonder if DD had HF&M as she seemed to be a bit off and was dribbling more that she would usually for teething. Her mouth looked OK but I saw one tiny little blister on her foot and another on her hand, but nothing else... They were gone the next day or so and before I could get her into the GP.
She is right as rain now though, but my ulcers came before hers and I still have them - just when I think they are going, I get more. And the tongue, OMG it is like eating glass at times sad

Nickoka Tue 19-Jul-11 20:06:53

My husband suffers really badly with them. We used to be able to buy something called adcortyl in orabase which was really good but it is not available for some reason now but you could ask pharmacists if there is anything similar - corlan pellets are not as good but have similar ingredients (hydrocortisone) which seem to help him with healing and pain.

He has also used Gingengal mouthrinse which we buy from Tesco or Waitrose. It is expensive (£9 a bottle) but it definitely seems to help with the speed of healing. He has had a terrible time getting doctors or dentists to understand how painful his ulcers can be. They just seem to suggest Bonjela which is nowhere near any kind of solution for him.
Good luck with it.

BooBooGlass Tue 19-Jul-11 20:07:21

Just over a week. And the frustrating thing was, neither of my dc actually caught it- just me. THe GP won't actually do anyhting btw. It's a virus that just has to run it's course. I couldn;t even speak properly my mouth was so sore. Do go to Boots tomorrow. They gave me some cocodamol for the pain too. It's all about pain relief rather than cure unfortunately.

BooBooGlass Tue 19-Jul-11 20:08:33

And fwiw, I didn;t have any symptoms on my hands or feet at all. My friend caught it off me and she could't wash her hands or hold a pen it was so painful, but she got nothing in her mouth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now