Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

separated stomach muscles

(5 Posts)
zdcgbjm Sun 17-Jul-11 19:10:54

I've just had baby no 3 and the mw says I have separated stomach muscles, she's referring me for physio, I've no idea how long that will take. Thing is I'm really uncomfortable now. My back and sides ache and I feel really weak. Is there anything I can do to help myself while waiting for the referral?

HarrietJones Sun 17-Jul-11 19:16:09

I've had Physio for mine but the exercises are similar to pilates. I wouldn't start without being sure what you are doing. Mine aren't much better 6 month on but I've a lot more problems & had sep stomach muscles since dd2(10 years ago) so I think im fighting a long battle

Footle Sun 17-Jul-11 20:30:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

indigobarbie Sun 17-Jul-11 22:48:54

Hi if you go to www.maternalfitness.com/diastasis-rehab.html#women this should help you out. I had a very large diastasis/weak back etc etc. I used the exercises noted on her website and have almost closed the gap, it has taken me 16 months. BUt, I have to say I have been a bit lax in doing the exercises. Never sit straight up from lying down, always roll onto your side first, and you will probably never be able to do sit ups again - this can push the tummy muscles to the side again. It does take a bit of time, but honestly this really works smile HTH

indigobarbie Sun 17-Jul-11 22:49:39

Meant to say this is the Julie Tupler Technique - my Dr just told me I'd have to live with it!!! I still looked 9 months pregnant after 5 months...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now