Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Migraine and magnesium

(4 Posts)
MrsOlf Sun 17-Jul-11 08:09:50

I've conducting a very unscientific experiment after reading a few bits of research on magnesium deficiency and migraines. Mine started in puberty and have become more hormone related, particularly after stopping breastfeeding DD2 a year ago. I get a migraine in the 48 hours before my period starts everytime.
Apart from thus month that is. I've been taking 300g magnesium a day all month and no migraine at all. Wow. Obviously this is only once (but on my own with DDs as DH been away for 2 weeks and still another week until he's back and lots of work on, both of which would usually make my migraines worse and more frequent.)
I did check my plan with the GP who said there was no risk to me taking the magnesium.
Anyone else tried this? Could it be just a fluke?

rockinhippy Sun 17-Jul-11 15:47:31

I've seen a migraine nuerologist & she recommended taking 500mg of mag a day, even though I wasn't deficient, she also advised taking 300mg riboflavin ( B vit but right now I forget which 1blush - ironically thanks to the weather fiighting a damned migraine hmm

its apparently been proven in studies to work & I do find it helps, though no cure in my case, but I'm lumbered with chronic migraine, so grateful for anything that helps at all smile

this site is good for info ..

MrsOlf Sun 17-Jul-11 19:08:01

That's a really useful site - thank you.

My sister suffers from chronic migraine (as does my Dad and my uncle) so I have a huge amount of sympathy for you. Twice a month is enough for me, thank you...

rockinhippy Tue 19-Jul-11 10:41:08

Thanks smile - Thankfully I don't get the real doozies I used too pre it becoming chronic- so I can still function, its much more aura symptoms for me these days, with headache, but not as bad as I used to get it.

I don't like that you have to pay to join the site, as it will exclude some people, but it is a good site & lots of free info on it too - it was given to me by my Migraine Nuro, & I think she is involved with running it - she has an unusual name - the same one as one of the site organisers/drs, so its very likely her & if so even better as she can give real
medical advice too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now