Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Seborrhoeic Dermatitis

(8 Posts)
KurriKurri Sat 16-Jul-11 10:01:48

I am currently having a bad outbreak of this, round my nose and on my chin.
The GP has given me an anti fungal cream (daktarin gold) - which I've been using, but my face feels worse, it looks redder and is sore and itchy. I know thats normal for SD, but I wondered if I might be allergic to the cream?

Should I keep using it? - I can't get to a doctor until Tuesday.

What can I put on my face to make it less red and sore looking.?

My DD's graduation is on Monday - I am going to look all red and inflamed sad - help.

TIA

KurriKurri Sat 16-Jul-11 17:34:14

hopeful bump.

Bearcat Sat 16-Jul-11 20:43:52

Buy some Nizoral shampoo and use it as a face wash.
When i used to get in the shower, this would be the first thing I would do so that it would be on my face for 3-4 minutes before I rinsed it off
Was recommended this several years ago by a dermatologist and it cleared up my very dry flaky skin on my face.
Sometimes now, if I ever find my skin getting a bit dry between my eyes I use this regime, and this is hardly ever these days
Enjoy the graduation, did this lat year for DS1.We were so proud!

KurriKurri Sat 16-Jul-11 20:57:32

bless you for answering Bearcat smile - I will get some tomorrow and give it a go.

Fibreoptic Sun 17-Jul-11 07:13:53

you can also try SkinSalveations shampoo.Its very mild,actually for eczema sufferers but absolutely great.Been using it as a a face wash for years,my husband started their skincare program and I just discovered when showering the shampoo is just an ideal bodywash. www.skinsalveation.com/prod_shampoo.asp

Bearcat Sun 17-Jul-11 07:53:53

Kurri, sure you realise this, but mix the Nizoral with water in your hands before putting on your face, so its a bit bubbly and soapy.

acumenin Sun 17-Jul-11 08:20:09

Sebho is cradle cap, btw, if that's useful for getting together some more information.

Nizoral is an antifungal--it's ketoconazole whereas your doc has given you miconazole. Daktarin is just the antifungal - to reduce the inflammation as well you'd need hydrocortisone. The name of that one is Daktacort but should only be used as a temporary measure. Ask your pharmacist - it may be an OTC.

PS I am not a doctor obv.

KurriKurri Sun 17-Jul-11 10:41:31

Thank you all for your suggestions, - I'm off to the chemist very soon, and will stock up. Fibreoptic - that stuff sounds good - just had a browse round the website,and I'll ask the pharmacist about Nizoral and hydrocortisone.

In desperation last night I put savlon on it because it was so sore, and it is much less sore this morning but still very red.

Oh well - maybe it won't show in the photos <whistles in the dark> grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: