Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Red, itchy eye...

(5 Posts)
Grockle Thu 14-Jul-11 22:53:30

Should I worry? NHS direct seemed to think I need to call them but I am not convinced it is necessary...

One eye is very red in the corner (by my nose) and really itchy and feels sort of sticky although no goo or anything. Does it sound ok or not?

(ps I work with children, 2 of whom have had red itchy eyes this week...)

AngryChair Thu 14-Jul-11 23:02:04

Could be conjunctivitis or hayfever. Either way I would have though speaking to a pharmacist tomorrow would be a better option that calling NHS Direct.

Try not to itch it, I've got it too - mine is hayfever and if I make the mistake of giving in to the itch, it will be itching all night.

Grockle Thu 14-Jul-11 23:05:52

I never think of speaking to a pharmacist -good idea. I have an allergic problem but on my other eyelid. This is new and annoying! Will see how it is in the morning.

What are the rules re conjunctivitis anyway?

AngryChair Thu 14-Jul-11 23:10:51

Until you know what it is, try not to touch it, don't share pillows or towels or anything like that as it is very contagious. If it is conjunctivitis they'll probably give you some eye drops which are SO relieving! If allowed, put the bottle in the fridge. There is no better feeling than dropping cold drops into a sore eye grin

Grockle Thu 14-Jul-11 23:14:17

But it's SO itchy!

I've been dowsing my eye with systane eyedrops and it feels lively -all cold and soothing for a couple of mins before the itching starts again angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now