Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Steroid tablets - can you drink alcohol with them?

(7 Posts)
Hulababy Thu 14-Jul-11 20:30:24

Forgot to ask the GP earlier int he week.

I am prescribed Prednisolone (15mg a day) for inflammatory arthritis.

Just wondered if I am allowed a glass of wine at the weekend or not.

Google is very contradictpry and there is is no advice to say no alcohol in the leaflet in the box.

Anyone know? Thanks.

RoadArt Thu 14-Jul-11 21:36:41

Usually if it is dangerous to drink alcohol it is mentioned on the leaflets attached.

If nothing mentioned, then drink sparingly but dont get drunk.

I found it gave me chronic headaches if I drank anything but everyone is different.

Also, maybe ask at a pharmacy (not one you usually go into to save any embarrassment)

Hulababy Thu 14-Jul-11 21:38:35

Might call in at the Boots near work (don't use it often smile ) and ask them. I don't intend drinking a lot at all, but I am away this weekend and there will be wine and fizz about, so a glass with dinner would have been nice. Looks like it might be a coke or Becks Blue if I am feeling radical wink

NearlyHeadlessNigel Thu 14-Jul-11 22:21:28

I do!

It's not mentioned in the leaflet so I figure there's no specific contraindication. Obviously alcohol could intensify some of the (many!) side effects listed on the leaflet so I'd imagine the sensible thing is to drink only in moderation. But isn't it anyway. smile

Hulababy Thu 21-Jul-11 21:05:55

I still forgot to ask the GP at Wednesday's appointment - must remember next Tuesday!

I have had the odd small drink. It's doing wonders for cutting me back on drinking if nothing else, lol. Not a bad thing I guess.

shitmagnet Thu 21-Jul-11 23:01:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hulababy Fri 22-Jul-11 13:46:34

Thank you. Means I can enjoy a glass of fizz or two to celebrate DH's birthday later! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: