Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I want to talk to you about poo

(10 Posts)
HidingCosItsPoo Thu 14-Jul-11 17:47:45

Yep, that's right, poo. Anyone else have regular constipation?

I eat plenty of veg, drink lots of water, don't eat much fruit as I am not a big fan, and find myself with constipation lots and lots.

I don't have much sensation of needing to go, which makes me think I may be a bit blocked up (sorry too much information).

When I do go, it tends to be wee hard marbles of poo which don't want to come out.

Anyone got any sure fire ways, short of medication?

ElbowFan Thu 14-Jul-11 18:20:51

See your GP. If you are eating the fibre and drinking the liquids, something is causing fluids to be removed before the waste gets to your bowel, hence the rabbit droppings. GP will help.

Geordieminx Thu 14-Jul-11 18:27:37

I'm the same. Never been any different. Usually go once or twice a week.

Warm water with fresh lemon juice squeezed into it first thing on a morning, oat bran (added to yoghurt or made into porridge) can help.

Other than that senokot max strength?

I went to doctors last year, got fibrogel and then lactulose, both work, once I have taken for a few days,but once I stop it's back to normal.

Have you thought about glycerine suppositories?

HidingCosItsPoo Thu 14-Jul-11 19:50:08

Thanks guys, will try the lemon juice and bran tricks, before going down the GP route.

mrspants Thu 14-Jul-11 19:54:17

I know what you say about medication but loads of people swear by Dulcolax. Senna is a little harsh. And have you ever considered colon hydrotherapy? Not for everyone but can help many people if you choose a good ARCH therapist. If not at least give the websits a look, tips etc on there.
Good luck

catx2 Thu 14-Jul-11 22:16:58

Hi.
I have this problem too. I was recommended to try Flax seed/Lin seed.
I sprinkle a few spoons on my cereal every morning but you can add it to anything you like. you can buy it from health shops. Make sure it is the ground seed though as otherwise it wont do anything. You also need to take plenty of water with it as otherwise it will just cause more constipation.
I found a lot of info online about it and it seems to be quite popular.
Hope you get it sorted soon as it can be a real pain!

Sausagesarenottheonlyfruit Thu 14-Jul-11 23:14:51

yy to the ground flax seed and suppositories.

Fennel tea before bed also helps but do not combine this with flax seed on a regular basis! As a one-off good clearout perhaps.

Sossiges Fri 15-Jul-11 00:15:59

Boots Magnesium capsules, one a day just before you go to bed. Try 2 if you're really bunged up, much better than suppositories!

Gooseberrybushes Fri 15-Jul-11 00:17:13

nuts, specifically, brazil nuts

Gooseberrybushes Fri 15-Jul-11 00:17:53

what's wrong with the fennel-flax combo?

what on earth happens?????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now