Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Abortion - pill versus surgical - experiences

(16 Posts)
Argh123 Thu 14-Jul-11 14:50:53

Apologies for starting such a sensitive thread. I had posted something in conception about how accurate early pregnancy tests were but realised that some people on that topic might be offended so wanted to ask somewhere else.

I have found out I'm pregnant. My period is only due on Monday but I just knew 2 days ago when I started getting migraines. I have taken 4 tests - 2 First Response and 2 of those digital clear blue ones, all of which say I am pregnant.

This happened from an accident I didn't even think was an accident. I am too old for hormonal birth control so dh and I use condoms and one slipped off slightly but both of us examined it afterwards and it did not look like any sperm could have escaped. But it must have done.

Anyway, I have booked an appointment at the clinic for Tuesday but I am just wondering what other people's experiences of the pill or the surgical one were. Tbh, I just want this done asap now but it transpires I may have to wait another few weeks just so they can see it on a scan first sad (I guess to make sure it is gone aftewards).

downpipe Thu 14-Jul-11 16:12:08

Really sorry to hear your predicament...it's such a hard decision to make but if you are sure you don't want to go ahead with the pregnancy you have time to go for either.I had to make the same decision a few years ago (similar circumstances, condom failure but not obvious at the time) and went for the medical option ie the pills.It is actually quite unpleasant, you take the first lot of tablets and then the second lot 48 hours later.They made me take the first ones in a clinic but I persuaded them to let me take the second lot at home.I had very bad cramping pain to the point where I felt almost fainted, then diarrhoea.My partner was at work and I had to get a friend to look after me it was so awful.You aren't allowed to take any normal painkillers.Once the bleeding starts,the pain gets a bit better.Although people think you can "just take an abortion pill" it is not to be taken lightly.Bleeding lasted for a couple of days.No personal experience of the surgical option but it will involve an anaesthetic and therefore time in hospital and away from your family.I don't want to put you off but just to explain what mig happen.Good news is I made a good recovery and have gone on to marry someone else and now have 2 lovely children but that was a horrible time.Good luck x

Argh123 Thu 14-Jul-11 18:06:26

Thanks downpipe. I just want to end it before I start to suffer with bad morning sickness etc so they are telling me all the options on Tuesday. Tbh, the surgical option sounds better to me - the pill seems to have a higher failure rate too which sounds really unappealing sad

tethersend Thu 14-Jul-11 18:16:25

I had one under conscious sedation- you are conscious but I think it's ether they give you. I am not going to pretend it was a good experience, but I don't think you're under any illusions about that. For me, it was infinitely preferable than taking the tablet- once it was done, it was done and over. A couple of days' bleeding afterwards.

I was in and out the same day.

Argh123 Thu 14-Jul-11 20:57:41

Thanks tether. I think that sounds preferable. I think it just depends how quickly they can do it as it seems they can't do it as early as I am.

I still just can't believe it tbh sad.

tethersend Thu 14-Jul-11 21:05:36

Oh Argh sad

You sound very certain about what you want to do- it doesn't make it any easier though, does it?

PM me anytime if you want.

QuinnFabray Thu 14-Jul-11 21:25:20

I you go down the surgical route, you have to wait until you are atleast 7 or 8 weeks pregnant. Before that, your only option is the medical ( pill ) option.

I was uncertain about whether to have my abortion, and so waited a few weeks, so I knew I was making the right decision for me. Although, with hindsight, I think I knew all along that I was going to do it, and I was adament I didn't want the medical abortion, as the thought of it terrified me. So I waited until I was 9 weeks. By that point, I'd had several weeks to mull it over, and I knew it was the right decision. I have no regrets. Sadness that I had to make the decision in the first place, but no regrets about terminating the pregnancy.

A big part of me thinks it would have been more ethical to get it over and done with sooner rather than later, but I needed that time. I'm glad I went for the surgery. In and out in a day. A bit of discomfort, but no real pain.
A bit whacked out for a few days afterwards. As far as medical precedures go, it was fine. The staff were absolutely wonderful.

This was 18 months ago, an accidental fourth pregnancy. I have three children. It all seems rather surreal now.

Pleb1969 Thu 14-Jul-11 21:36:16

I had the surgical option nearly 18 years ago at the age of 24 after the pill failed and I was in and out the same day. Was a long time ago but recall vaguely that pain afterwards was like bad period pain. The D&C also meant that everything was removed. My sister years later had the pill option but had massive hemorraging and nearly died - obviously quite an adverse reaction... I hope it all goes well for you, nice to see that the only comments so far on here have helpful and not judgemental.

Argh123 Fri 15-Jul-11 07:44:56

thanks for sharing your experiences.

Yes, the abortion pill does sound quite nasty - it's basically inducing a miscarriage so I guess the cramping and bleeding will come with it (and no guarantee of how quickly it will work).

My situation is complicated by the fact that I travel for work and have a holiday booked. I know that may sound really selfish but I only get 4 weeks holiday a year - I work full time in a long hours job - and my holidays are so precious to me because they are really the only quality time I get to spend with the dcs. So next week I'm 4 weeks, the week after that (5 weeks) I am away with work (abroad - in a developing country), the week after that (6 weeks) I'm on holiday. So if nothing can be done at my appointment on Tuesday, I will have to wait until after the trip and the holiday which will be horrendous for me sad as I get horrific morning/all day sickness (started this morning sad) and will find it v hard to travel! But I suppose that's the least of my worries tbh.

anyway, I guess the clinic will tell me my options and I'll see what happens.

I am so kicking myself though. And so is dh. We checked so bloody carefully that nothing had leaked out the condom but I guess it must have done. I am very bloody cross with myself.

hairylights Fri 15-Jul-11 21:41:44

My experience of the pill (which was fir missed miscarriage, but exactly the same thing) was horrendous. Very painful, lots of faintness, was so glad I was in hospital with good pain relief available. I was given paracetamol, codeine, gas and air and eventually pethedine which finally worked.

When I had Erpc (same as surgical abortion) it was a whole lot easier and
I hardly bled afterwards.

Good luck whichever option you take.

FlowerQueen Sat 16-Jul-11 10:16:28

Hi
I had a surgical abortion this wednesday just gone. Having had miscarriages in the past I chose this option because it would be over and done with all in one day. And as far as I was told the medical option is basically an induced miscarriage, not pleasant I passed out and banged my head last time.

OK, I was 8 weeks. The people I dealt with were absolutely fantastic. I had the procedure, and was out of the door in 30 minutes. I didn't take this procedure lightly, it took me some time to arrive at the decision to do this, and it was finally on Consultants advice that it would be extremely dangerous for me to continue with the pregnancy.

If I had had a choice I would have had conscious sedation, which apparently means you are in never never land for ten minutes. But because of my stupid health, I had to have the procedure done with no anesthetic. However, its tolerable, I think I saw someone describe it as a 5 minute smear test, add period pain and thats about right. Afterwards I came home went to bed for a few hours. So I am now 3 days post op. Bleeding, but not too heavily, like a heavy period. Cramps tolerable. Emotionally, I sobbed through the whole thing, afterwards and now I feel relieved. I will of course make sure this doesn't happen again. I am only human, and expect to have regrets. But logically I know for the sake of my family it was the right thing to do. Hope this helps.

paulmorris Fri 09-Oct-15 13:32:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

abandonatoalex Mon 02-Nov-15 11:43:47

The abortion pills pack which contains two types of medicine helps in proper termination of pregnancy and after using this after the abortion has taken place there is proper flow of menstrual periods.
www.abortion-online.com/abortion-pills-pack.html

stevejhon210 Tue 16-Feb-16 11:16:35

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BrieAndChilli Tue 16-Feb-16 11:31:57

I had the surgical procedure and it was awful if I'm honest. I was awake throughout as otherwise would have had to go away overnight to nearest place that does it under general.
It was slightly painful throughout and very emotional and guilt ridden.
I bled very heavily for days after including passing lots of fist sized clots.

Tanfastic Tue 16-Feb-16 21:57:58

I had a surgical abortion eleven years ago, the pill wasn't available then or I wasn't given the choice, not sure which. I was about seven weeks' pregnant and couldn't have it earlier than that. That was the worst bit to be honest, the waiting, as I just wanted It over with.

I went to a clinic miles away as there wasn't one near me and To be honest it was hideous, like a conveyer belt. The staff were pleasant but it wasn't a pleasant experience for me, I had a general anaesthetic and I was on my own as nobody would come with me. Fucking awful. I have erased the whole experience from my memory. I'd have preferred the pill as it may have been more painful but at least I could do it in the comfort of my own home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now