Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

small lump in front of ear - worried

(7 Posts)
bocboc8 Wed 13-Jul-11 19:01:36

Hi ladies, I've this small movable lump on my face in front of my ear lobe. It's there for a few months and since has grown slightly bigger - about the size of a pea. Not painful at all. I've been to the doctor this morning and he said it could be an inflamed gland and just to keep an eye on it and if it gets any bigger, go back to him. I've not been unwell and surely if it's an inflamed gland it should goes away by now? I'm worried about a growth on the parotid gland which eventually needs to be removed.

Anyone had experience of this?

mumsiepie Thu 14-Jul-11 08:03:43

A swollen lymph gland can stay for ages. I had one in my neck that was eventually removed. The good thing (I think) is that it is movable. Try not to worry and research too much like I always do xx

bocboc8 Thu 14-Jul-11 21:37:51

Thanks, mumsiepie. I want to trust my GP but I'm not convinced it's an inflamed gland.

mumsiepie Thu 14-Jul-11 22:26:11

Just read up about what you are worried about......I hope cos it is so small after a few months and it is movable it wont be your parotid gland. I think inflamed glands are sore to press. Def keep an eye on it. I guess your doc is right in that if it is a parotid tumour it will grow in an obvious way. I saw pics of people having the aspiration to diagnose and their lumps were way bigger than yours. Try and trust him as he has been to medical school and you have only been to your computer!! smile xxx

mixedfruit Thu 14-Jul-11 22:41:20

Hi, I have had a small lump in front of my left ear just as you describe but perhaps slightly smaller since I was a teenager. I am now 35. When I mentioned it to my GP when I was a teenager she said not to worry it's quite common and that seems to have been good advice in my case. (I do notice that sometimes I have pain when on an aeroplane or when I have a cold/virus more on this side but as far as I am aware there is nothing untoward about the lump).

bocboc8 Fri 15-Jul-11 08:23:18

Thanks alot for your reassurances, ladies. Mumsiepie, that's what my GP said - if it's anything sinister it will be growing more rapidly and much bigger than now.

Mixedfruit - have you still got the lump? Is it the same size as it was before years ago? Any tests to make sure there is nothing to worry about?

Thanks for your help.

deleting Mon 18-Jul-11 21:40:44

I've got one in front of my ear. Been there for as long as i can remember. It just stays the same and has never been checked. I've got loads of them all over the place that never go down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now