Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you have a chest infection without getting a cough / cold?

(5 Posts)
Meglet Wed 13-Jul-11 15:18:00

I have painful ribs / chest. They ache if I breathe deeply and feel tender.

The pain started yesterday afternoon and is worse today. I haven't been to the gym to pull a muscle but neither do I have a cold. I do have a temperature, feel achy all over and an upset stomach, so I'm not 100% and am off sick. Have never smoked and generally pretty fit.

Obviously I have decided it's pleurisy or a tumor hmm.

Will go to the GP's tomorrow if it doesn't settle down, just seems odd to have such pain without a reason for it.

Could it be a random chest infection? Only ever had one in the past and it was preceeded by a rotten cold.

Paschaelina Wed 13-Jul-11 15:19:36

I have, but it did come with crippling breathlessness just from walking across the room.

DeWe Wed 13-Jul-11 15:22:51

Dd1 did when she was 8. It was picked up when she was complaining of a very sore shoulder. The blockage was at the top of her lungs (unusual) hence the shoulder pain. Being her and liking to carry on what she was doing she managed 2 ballet shows and a swimming party and was half way to school before she admitted it. Dr. said he was surprised she could stand and it took 4 lots of antibiotics to clear. She had had no cold or cough at all.

AMumInScotland Wed 13-Jul-11 15:28:39

I'd guess that it's just part of the "achy all over" feeling - you have muscles between your ribs and if you are getting achy muscles from a bug then those ones can hurt just like any others. A chest infection would be much more likely to make you wheezy or your breath "rattle".

I'd give it a day or two and see if it goes when the rest of you feels better.

dinglydell Wed 13-Jul-11 15:31:48

If it's pleurisy then you would feel a sharp knife-like pain when you breathe in and you would find it hard to take a full breath. I had it recently. I've also had chest infections and I can't imagine having one without some sort of a cough. If you feel sick could it be your gall bladder or liver that's causing the pain under the ribs? Let us know how you get on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now