Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mooncup novice questions

(5 Posts)
10poundstogo Tue 12-Jul-11 00:02:07

Just got this. Finding it tricky to shove it in far enough before it pings open and then wont go any higher so have to take it out and start again. This fiddling is making me nervous about work/public loos. Any suggestions? Also tend to get one heavy day where biggest tampon will last about 1.5 hours tops. How long do you think moon cup will last, less or more? Thanks.

jenniec79 Tue 12-Jul-11 00:08:35

Mooncup will last loads longer than a super tampon - I find emptying it twice a day is more than enough (would probably get away with once, but happier if I've rinsed it more than that), so public loos rarely a problem, in fact would reccommend doing in the shower to start with, as can be a bit messy while you're learning (sorry if tmi). Try on your not-so-heavy-days first to get an idea of how full it's getting.

It does take a bit of getting used to. How are you folding it - there are different ways which might suit better (google)

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 12-Jul-11 05:44:13

Mooncup users are brave. I tried one, getting it in was easy, taking it out felt like I was removing my pelvic bones vaginally.

10poundstogo Thu 14-Jul-11 00:34:37

Thanks, good to know that it lasts longer than a tampon. Have googled it as suggested, doing better putting it in when on the loo as opposed to standing. I haven' trimmed the stem, does that mean its too high? Any lower and I could feel it which I didnt like...I think.i like it more than the alternatives. Pads and tampons seem horrid now.

Catilla Thu 14-Jul-11 00:43:00

My experience is
- shower is def a good place to practice (and have a good clean-up!)
- cut e whole stem off... It just hurts
- mine leaks if too high (in fact nit often leaks a bit, but so did tampons), but I know what you mean about feeling it if too low. The secret is apparently to insert high, then pull down an twist quite a lot to avoid leaks
- it holds loads, but romive with care, and expect to flush twice!

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now