Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just got some terrible news, can anyone help?

(13 Posts)
gapants Mon 11-Jul-11 17:17:26

My dad has had a couple of UTIs and following a CT scan he got the results today.

He has a 14cm mass at the back of his kidney. It is lymphoma. That is all he has been told. They have taken more bloods, the cancer team meet on Friday and he has another appointment on Monday. There are no other masses detected and the one mass they have found is not connected to any organs.

His back hurts, but otherwise he is eating and drinking fine.

He has type 2 diabetes as well.

He is not in great health in general, and doesn't eat brilliantly probably drinks a but too much.

I need to know more, I mean 14cm seems massive, what stage could this cancer be at? Anyone had something like this? Is lymphoma the worst type of cancer? I am completely ignorant and know nothing. My parents are not proactive people and will not know what to ask the DRs, they are very passive. Obviously they are in shock.

Can anyone tell me a bit more? Or point me in the direction of some information? They live in Scotland and I in England.

nickschick Mon 11-Jul-11 17:19:28

bumping for you as I know nowt but want you to know I care x

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 11-Jul-11 17:22:36

This website may be of some assistance to you; you need help and support too.

www.lymphomas.org.uk

barbie1 Mon 11-Jul-11 17:22:42

www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancerinformation.aspx try here for information, i am very sorry about your news.

This page helped me when my mum was diagnosed with cancer.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 11-Jul-11 17:24:09

Iirc there are two types, hodgkinsons and non hodgekinsons. D you know which type?

latermater Mon 11-Jul-11 17:33:21

My mum had non-Hodgkins lymphoma (there is also Hodgkins lymphoma which I think may be more common in younger people - I know nothing about that) and made a full recovery, following chemo and radiotherapy. That was nearly 10 years ago. As a general matter it is by no means the cancer with the worst prognosis. There are websites about lymphoma which may help you work out what your father ought to ask: it tends to be graded by which/how many parts of the body it is affecting so far as I recall. I don't have any medical knowledge though. Good luck to your Dad and to you in helping him through.

gapants Mon 11-Jul-11 18:21:53

Thanks everyone, and nickschick- that is a nice thing to say x

They don't know which kind it is, I thought Hodgkins was for children- ie Lukemia. I am off to look at the weblink, thanks for that barbie1

Thanks for kind wishes

RichTeaAreCrap Mon 11-Jul-11 18:26:13

I dont have any experience or know anything about this kind of cancer but didnt want to read and not post to let you know I am thinking of you and wish your dad the best of luck to get through this.

Elibean Mon 11-Jul-11 19:57:29

Shocking news to receive, I'm sorry...

I think you'll need more information from the docs, as to staging and what next etc. It does sound good that its not attached to any organs, and I don't think size is all that important in lymphoma - what matters is how well an individual responds to treatment.

At least, that was the case with a friend of mine with non-Hodgkins lymphoma (its much more common than Hodgkins, but Hodgkins is pretty treatable these days in most cases - non-Hodgkins can be too, but varies more I think). He had several tumours, some large (abdominal cavity), but responded well to treatment and is still completely well 7 years later....it just totally depends on the individual.

Incidentally, he drank too much too - but stopped when he was diagnosed.

Macmillan are brilliant, try and get your parents linked in with them - and keep asking lots of questions.

gapants Mon 11-Jul-11 20:55:16

elibean thanks for your message.

Is hodgkins more serious than non? I am glad to hear your friend is better, that is heartening to hear.

Am flying up to see them next week after they have seen the consultant again and when we know a bit more. Have sent them the Macmillan Cancer weblink. Will talk to mu mum tomorrow about getting in touch with them.

Elibean Mon 11-Jul-11 21:15:42

I don't honestly know, gapants, sorry. I think it probably depends on the case, how early its been caught, etc.

My friend's cancer was quite advanced, he ignored signs for ages and ages - but he just responded well to chemo. So it really does depend.

Good luck, really wish your family well - and lots of strength to you for next week.

gapants Mon 18-Jul-11 18:45:21

So my dad was back at the hospital today and it is Sarcoma- a cancerous growth that can be removed. There will be an op and radiotherapy. So a lot more positive than the initial diagnosis. We are very thankful.

Anyone know anymore about this?

I have been looking on the Macmillan website which is great.

RichTeaAreCrap Mon 18-Jul-11 18:51:55

Oh that's much better news gapants, I am so glad it can be removed and lets hope your dad gets better very soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now