Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I am confused so thought I woud start a new thread so you don't have to read al my nonsense.

(21 Posts)
TheOriginalFAB Mon 11-Jul-11 08:35:34

I have shingles. I have had it more than a week. It is possible I caught it from a child who had chicken pox in the class I help with at school. I think it is more likely that I have it as I am stressed and run down. Am I infectious? How long do I have to stay out of school for? Am I confined to barracks? In the morning I am very stiff around the back and abdomen, is that due to shingles and what can I do as it is hard to get moving in a morning.

exoticfruits Mon 11-Jul-11 08:51:35

You can't give someone shingles. You can give them chicken pox. DH had it, he was told that he had to stay away from young DCs, pregnant women and the elderly. You can only get shingles if you have had chicken pox. Google it.

exoticfruits Mon 11-Jul-11 08:53:05

Look here-it tells you all you need to know.

TheRealMBJ Mon 11-Jul-11 08:54:51

Shingles are cause by the deactivation of chicken pox that has laid. Dormant in your body. You can't 'catch' shingles but for as long as the vesicles are wet you are infectious and can pass on chicken pox to those around you.

suzikettles Mon 11-Jul-11 08:55:21

Shingles isn't particularly infectious. Well, it is but you get infected from the virus shedding from the blisters which, if they are covered by clothes (say if they're on your stomach) is unlikely.

Having said that, it's probably best to err on the side of caution and not go into a school.

As exoticfruits said, shingles is reactivated chickenpox virus which lies dormant in your system forever once you've had chickenpox so you don't "catch" it from anyone.

You can pass on chickenpox if you have shingles
You can't pass on shingles if you have chickenpox.

Hope you feel better soon.

TheRealMBJ Mon 11-Jul-11 08:56:08

X-post

TheRealMBJ Mon 11-Jul-11 08:56:49

Reactivation not deactivation!

Ormirian Mon 11-Jul-11 08:58:38

What reactivates the virus though? Most adults have had chicken pox n childhood but in all the cases I've known, they have happened to people who have been in contact with chicken pox recently.

suzikettles Mon 11-Jul-11 09:01:30

It's much more common if you're run down/immunocompromised.

exoticfruits Mon 11-Jul-11 09:06:11

DH wasn't in contact with chickenpox *as far as he knows*-he was a bit run down and stressed. (maybe he was just in the supermarket etc with someone with chicken pox-who knows?)

HauntedLittleLunatic Mon 11-Jul-11 09:12:14

I didn't think there was a requirement to stay in isolation with shingles...as long as rash not exposed.

Chicken pox is spread by respiratory routes so very contagious to general public.

Shingles is only contagious by contact with blisters so as long as they are covered there is no issue.

Of course if you are feeling ill then you should take time off sick.

HauntedLittleLunatic Mon 11-Jul-11 09:14:28

here is the official advice from bps which says pretty much that.

TheOriginalFAB Mon 11-Jul-11 09:14:55

I did google, exoticfruits, but there are hundreds of pages and I prefer first hand experience.

I will have to take my children to and from school after today but should I cancel helping out on Friday? Also, I have a breast ultrasound booked for this Thursday, should I postpone that?

thestringcheeseincident Mon 11-Jul-11 09:15:09

Did you ask your doctor these questions?

TheOriginalFAB Mon 11-Jul-11 09:15:23

Thank you HLL.

suzikettles Mon 11-Jul-11 09:17:19

I'd contact the school and the hospital and let them make the decision.

It should be much, much better by the end of the week anyway.

exoticfruits Mon 11-Jul-11 09:17:24

The doctor handed DH pages printed from internet-but find I couldn't find the particular ones.
I would cancel helping on Friday. Ring up and ask about the ultrasound.

TheOriginalFAB Mon 11-Jul-11 09:27:24

Hospital ringing me back. They seemed very surprised that the doctor said I could go into school.

HauntedLittleLunatic Mon 11-Jul-11 10:28:29

That could be because you spoke to a doctor who understands the transmission routes and hpa guidelines.

At the hospital I am assuming that you have probably spoken to a receptionist or other non medically qualified member of staff who's gut instinct is that it sounds highly contagious.

And sorry about typo in previous post...I should learn to proof-read from my phone...bps should have read hpa.

TheOriginalFAB Mon 11-Jul-11 10:33:56

thestring the doctor said I could go into school but I forgot to ask him about the ultrasound.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 12-Jul-11 08:18:21

Now DS2 is poorly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now