Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Did you know that if your BMI is over 25 and you loose the weight your chances of getting breast cancer reduces by 40%?

(14 Posts)
LovelyDaffs Fri 08-Jul-11 17:44:26

I found out yesterday that I have a 1 in 4 chance of getting breast cancer, which came as quite a surprise. Obviously they talked to me about what things I can do to help prevent it, I knew weight would come up but wow 40%! My BMI is about 27/28 so fortunately I don't have too much to loose of course this has given me good reason to get on with it and stop saying I'll start tomorrow.

I just thought that this was something we should all know.

Rumpelstiltskinshat Fri 08-Jul-11 17:48:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheOriginalFAB Fri 08-Jul-11 17:48:58

I know my risk is higher because I am overweight. How did you find out your risk is 1 in four?

ZZZenAgain Fri 08-Jul-11 17:49:50

hadn't heard that before, no

LovelyDaffs Fri 08-Jul-11 18:00:40

I have one relative on each side of my family that had it, I'm quite shocked because I went to my local clinic where I used to live ten years ago and was told that my risk was barely any more than the next woman, but I was entitled to annual mammogrames (I can't spell). We moved a while ago and went to the GP to get the same here and had to go through the whole family history again and my new local breast clinic. I'm stunned that I've lived for ten years thinking I was basically fine and now I'm a high risk.

My family history gives me a 1 in 5 risk and then personal stuff like how early periods started, how old I was when I had my first child, how long I breastfed for made it go up.

So yesterday was a teary day, but today I'm determined to get off my backside - and pass the word on.

Am also very lucky to now be under a great clinic.

Footle Fri 08-Jul-11 18:25:38

AngryFeet Fri 08-Jul-11 18:32:20

Well being overweight creates more oestrogen in your system which is a risk factor for cancer so it would make sense.

DilysPrice Fri 08-Jul-11 18:36:23

Yes I think people are pretty unaware about the link between breast cancer and excess fat (also alcohol intake is a significant risk factor).

CMOTdibbler Fri 08-Jul-11 21:01:50

The risk isn't constant though - from the CRUK website:

Weight is a bit confusing. If you are overweight before you've had your menopause, your risk of breast cancer is lower than average. But if you are overweight after menopause, your risk of breast cancer is higher than average. This is because women who are overweight ovulate less than average. So their breast cells may be exposed to lower levels of oestrogen. But once you are post menopausal, your oestrogen levels are linked to the amount of body fat you have. The more fat, the higher your oestrogen levels are likely to be.

parkingpermit Fri 08-Jul-11 21:03:04

my mum died from breast cancer, she never drank or smoked but put on weight round her middle, like i am now.

LovelyDaffs Fri 08-Jul-11 21:03:51

Footie yes it is, and I thought the same but was taken by surprise by the news so didn't ask at the time. Regardless of that it's a huge difference for something that's so simple when a lot of people who have a higher bmi want to lose weight anyway.

LovelyDaffs Fri 08-Jul-11 21:05:56

CMOT I saw this countries only professor of breast cancer prevention himself, he is leading a lot of studies in prevention and this is what he told me. He is the most up to date with the facts.

Footle Sat 09-Jul-11 11:57:13

lookslikeacoconut Sat 09-Jul-11 12:41:14

Yes, thanks for posting this. I put on 3 st during pregnancy and am in the process of losing it. No mystery, I know exactly where the extra weight came from - that would be me eating lots of chocolate in late pregnancy (it was over christmas) and not being able to exercise. Somehow i thought it would just melt off after having dd but surprise surprise it didn't.
I've lost 17lb so far, another 20 or so to go, then I'll be down to bmi 25.
I'm determined to do it but blimey it's hard!
I suppose pregnancy is one of the flash points for womens' weight increasing over the years, and it's difficult to get off if you pig out like I did!
My aunt had breast cancer, well I'd like to be around to see my little girl grow up, so hearing things like this is even more of a boot up the backside!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now