Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Piriformis syndrome; post discectomy

(5 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 07-Jul-11 22:02:23

My dad is in terrible pain

He had 2 discectomies about 3 years ago, then another 2, 6 months apart (last one in April)

For a year he was walking hunched over & now has the most awful pain in his hip/leg; he is wondering if this is what he has & if there is anything he can do.

He has re-evaluated his pain scale & everything previous to this is now down at 7 and he has spent the last 2 nights in A&E getting stronger & stronger pain killers - he is on morphine. He can only crawl, he cannot stand or sit or lie down.


PIMSoclock Thu 07-Jul-11 22:23:15

This sounds very distressing.
There are two issues that need to be addressed, the pain and the nerve compression.

Phone the secretary of the consultant who did the initial procedures, explain the procedure and ask for an urgent review.

Then get an emergency appointment with his gp tomorrow to discuss pain control.
He should consider muscle relaxant (diazepam) regular analgesia (morphine based) anti inflammatorys and other adjuncts to pain relief such as pregabalin.
If ur GP is struggling, suggest that he phones/refers to the pain team at ur local hospital.
Also ask for an urgent referral to physio, as some stretching exercises may help when combined with pain relief.

Hope this helps x

KatyMac Fri 08-Jul-11 06:54:55

He has an urgent appointment (4 weeks) with his consultant - who has previously said 'that's it, no more surgery'
He is self referring to his physio (I think next week)
He is on diazepam & rohypnol, a nerve drug (I can't remember the name) & a 'something' morphine - he is scared of overdosing so my mum is keeping the drugs

Unfortunately they just moved house & therefore GP so they have filled in the forms & are awaiting the first appointment

My mum has been asking for the pain clinic/pain consultant for 4 weeks now - he is almost suicidal

Tinamassage Fri 08-Jul-11 14:49:40

Pain is the symptom and not he cause. If you know that it is piriformis symdrome that is causing the discomfort, a sports and remedial massage therapist can help. Piriformis is a deep muscle in the buttocks and can cause terrible discomfort if in spasm. A SRMT can use various techniques to help bring the muscle out of tension and work with all the other muscles that could be contributing to the problem. Please look on the Sports Massage Association website for your local practioner. Good luck and I hope he gets relief soon.

KatyMac Fri 08-Jul-11 20:36:12

He is worse today & at the big hospital for hours last night
& his consultant (& secretary) are uncontactable - A&E went spare last night as my dad cannot wait 2 weeks to be seen

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: