Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Erm, wasn't sure where to put this... but, BEETROOT poo

(18 Posts)
notnowbernard Thu 07-Jul-11 13:27:46

Hope you're not eating your lunch alert

Had a poo this morning

Looked bloody on wiping (sorry) - was quite a bit

However... after the initial (!) factor I remembered I'd eaten loads of beetroot the night before last

Could this be the beetroot?! Does anyone have experience of beetroot poo?

clarinsgirl Thu 07-Jul-11 13:28:48

Beetroot can indeed give you red poo...

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 07-Jul-11 13:29:38

Too much beetroot can also give you red wee.

notnowbernard Thu 07-Jul-11 13:42:39

<reassured>

It really looked like blood!

narmada Thu 07-Jul-11 15:41:29

Yes! I always get beetroot poo. Love beetroot, but unfortunately it always has this effect on me. Also, if I eat too much it gives me the (red) runs. Boak.

notnowbernard Thu 07-Jul-11 19:30:15

What an exciting vegetable it is wink

PaintedToenails Thu 07-Jul-11 20:53:26

*wanders off to see if she has any beetroot in the cupboard so she can perform an exciting social experiment on behalf of the Nation.......

Daydreaming Thu 07-Jul-11 21:33:49

Yes, don't worry!! I had pink wee after having carrot and beetroot juice. I had a moment of slight panic before deciding to google it - this was one case when googling reassured me!!!!!!!!

2kidsintow Thu 07-Jul-11 22:59:59

Beetroot crisps (yummy) have the same effect.

alittleconcernednow Sat 09-Jul-11 00:58:08

I once had very pink wee due to a bit of a beetroot over dose.

MmeBucket Sat 09-Jul-11 04:11:13

Oooooh. I'm excited. I had beetroot for the first time for dinner today, and can't wait to see what happens.

echt Sun 10-Jul-11 09:50:09

It's beetroot all right. If you eat the beet AS beet, i.e. in a salad/roasted, they have a very slight laxative effect due to bulk.

I love beetroot and am in the home of that noble veg: Australia. I mean that in the sense that it's available in vast cans, part of any echt burger in this wide brown land.

sausagesandmarmelade Sun 10-Jul-11 13:39:57

yes, yes, yes....beetroot makes your wee and your poo dark pinky red.

Might be like that for a few days as it stains your insides.

BornToFolk Sun 10-Jul-11 13:47:06

Ha, yes that's beetroot! When DS was in nappies, I had to warn nursery after he'd had beetroot soup as the contents of his nappy could be terrifying if you weren't expecting it! grin

tyler80 Sun 10-Jul-11 15:51:26

I get beetroot poo but not wee, much to my disappointment grin

tyler80 Sun 10-Jul-11 15:53:54

Useful info for those wishing to experiment grin

"The pinkness of your wee depends on the acidity of your stomach; some people don't see pink wee afterwards and some do (approximately 10 - 14%). If you don't get pink wee then your stomach is at the strongly acidic end of the normal range - if you do see pink wee then your stomach is at the less acidic end of normal, and the colour hasn't been broken down on the way through your gut.

If you don't normally have pink-stained pee after consuming beetroot, you might like to try an experiment. Try taking some antacid tablets, then eat beetroot. Remember to look at what you're doing the next time you visit the toilet. That should satisfy your curiosity."

GollyHolightly Sun 10-Jul-11 15:55:32

When I was a child I announced to my parents dinner party that I had just weed pure blood and hadn't flushed in case anyone wanted to have a look.

It was the day after eating lots of beetroot.

AngryFeet Sun 10-Jul-11 16:01:21

I had this once and was terrified I gad bowel cancer or something. They really should put a warning on the packet.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now