Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dentists

(5 Posts)
throckenholt Thu 07-Jul-11 12:51:30

Our NHS dentist is giving up being NHS and recommends denplan. Does any one use Denplan - can you recommend it ? How much does it cost you roughly ? Are your kids included in the package ?

Ideaologically I think dentistry should be provided by the NHS. However I like this dentist (and it has taken years to find one I like after previous bad experiences sad) and I am wary about trying to find another NHS dentist locally who will take us. I am trying to decide whether I should put aside my principles and dig into my pocket to pay for it.

throckenholt Thu 07-Jul-11 18:11:15

no-one use denplan then ?

create Thu 07-Jul-11 18:35:48

I had the same thinks a few years ago - had to go on Denplan to stay with the dentist.

The premiums varied according to your dental health histort, so your dentist should be able to give you a quote. I've only ever had one filling so I was on the borrom of the scale (My mum who has quite bad teeth paid a lot more). Even so, the premiums came to about twice what I'd been spending on check-ups and cleaning pa, although, if I'd needed more treatment, I might have been better off.

He continued to treat the DC free on the NHS

Grumpystiltskin Thu 07-Jul-11 20:21:10

I'm a dentist and my parents are on Denplan (I would never EVER treat them, nightmare!!!) I think it's a good scheme but then I have only worked under it for a short time.

If you have a dentist you trust I think it is worth at least the monthly subscription to stay with them. Another bonus is that you can budget for the monthly cost whereas with a solely private dentist, it could be anything from £0 to well £lots.

The NHS contract is in itself unbelievable and I left that system when my practice were given less than 24hrs to decide whether to sign up to an unworkable system or turn completely private, jeopardising generations of practice building. Ridiculous.

Hope you find the answers you need.

throckenholt Thu 07-Jul-11 20:24:15

thanks - things to ponder on.

My dentist said the NHS system was making him ill - he had asked to cut down by doing it part time but they wouldn't allow it so he has decided to pull out of the NHS scheme.

As a layman NHS funding of dentists seems madness to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now