Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

smear test normal,bleeding after sex several times, now being sent for a coloposcopy....

(7 Posts)
thisiswataluv Thu 07-Jul-11 10:11:15

im petrified, just got back from doctors who said she is refering me to coloposcopy as it has went on too long...
i got told a few year ago that i had a cervical erosion , i have bled after intercourse a few times, but lately its getting more frequent eg i bleed aftr sex 3/10 times the bleeding could be just on wiping myself but last month and this month it has went on for a few days, my periods are very irregular as i have pcos, so not sure if the bleeding is an actual period or not sad
but now its happened 2 month in a row, its too coincidental to be a period..
have been having smears since i was 17, and all of them have come back ok..
im really worried its carvical cancer the doc did say that it is very unlikely i have cancer as my smears are all normal...
anyone else had a coloposcopy...
what do i expect to happen ? what were your reasons for having it?

IndridCold Thu 07-Jul-11 10:59:07

I had one several years ago because I had had an abnormal smear test.

It wasn't the best day of my life, uncomfortable and not very dignified, but not that much worse than a smear test - although it goes on a bit longer. As I remember they put a camera into the vagina so that they can actually look at the cervix live, they also took another sample.

In my case (and probably most cases) they didn't find anything wrong; the doctor was able to tell me straight away that it looked fine, and the lab test backed him up a few days later. Afterwards I had to have smear tests every year, until I had three clear results then I went back to every three years.

Don't worry about it, it's most likely to give you a clean bill of health. Line up a nice treat for yourself to enjoy after the colposcopy smile.

HTH and that you don't have to wait too long for your test.

B52s Thu 07-Jul-11 16:16:23

I have had 2, both from smears which showed small changes.

T'is uncomfortable, similar to a smear but with a camera involved as well (which you don't even feel). Do not look at the TV screen however. They take a 'grab sample' off your cervix (which then bleeds, a lot, so don't look) and then they paste on a yellowy substance to help stop the bleeding. If you do want to see your cervix (like a donut), look before they do the sample. DO NOT LOOK AFTER.

Get someone else to drive you home and don't do much for the rest of the day. I took the day after off sick and was glad I had as the yellowy paste leaks out with a bit of blood and is all a bit gah.

It's okay overall, just not very pleasant. Mine were both mild diskaryosis which just needed regular smears, no more action.

If yours are due to bleeding, they probably just want to rule out cervical problems, especially if your smears are normal.

Please try not to worry too much and let us know the outcome.

thisiswataluv Thu 07-Jul-11 16:40:56

the doc said it would be unlikely to be cancer as my smears are normal, had last smear in 2009 and also had a scan on ovaries dec last year as i had pains, turned out to be pcos... surely if it was something it would have shown on scan ???
iv got 3 dcs all i can think about is them ..dont want to spell it out and jinx myself but you can guess what im thikning sad

B52s Fri 08-Jul-11 11:51:11

I think you'll be okay - these things are horrible to think about and the consequences. I know that's all you can think of at the moment and it's hard not to overthink it. When is your appointment? Can you get the earliest one possible to set your mind at rest so you can get back to being a wonderful mum for your 3 DC? I'll be thinking of you.

thisiswataluv Fri 08-Jul-11 13:27:59

just been refered so no appointment through for another 2 weeks at least, doc just said my problem has went on long enough, iv always had something going on down there whether it be an unpleasent smellblush or the unexplained bleeding/erosion ....

BelaLugosiinStripes Fri 08-Jul-11 20:21:03

Hi, did the GP explain what a cervical erosion is?
It's also known as an ectropian or ectropion. Its where the canal and outer cervix meet. Because the type of skin (or epithelium) changes from protective to mucus producing as you go up the canal, its more delicate.
As part of puberty the more delicate skin ends up pushed out on the outer cervix. Because its really thin and has lots of blood vessels underneath it can get inflammed and irritated very easily. If that happens that the area will bleed quite readily.
The colposcopy staff will be able to have a good look at your cervix and see what's causing the problem, I know it's easy for me to say but do please try not to worry. Info about colposcopy here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now