Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Feet ooo me feet do I undergo double op? Bunions plus spurs

(8 Posts)
hellenback Wed 06-Jul-11 19:06:41

A bit scared - anyone else had op and how long to get over? Got spurs (arthritus) on both toes too so will have those shaved off adding another 2 weeks to recovery period. Family will help but opting for both feet in one hit as life does not lend itself to 2 ops... all genetic apparently - never could manage heels

isitmidnightalready Wed 06-Jul-11 23:10:53

I have no idea about this but do hope it goes well. I did have heel spurs after pregnancy but they are no longer aproblem tho' I guess they are still there.

Good luck! Enjoy hte help , and do milk it - especially if it is genetic! There's a certain karma / natural justice there (smile)

SoloAgainItSeems Thu 07-Jul-11 00:44:13

My friend has just (a month ago) had her bunion done and has been in a lot of pain with it, though by her own admission, she has a very low pain threshold. Her foot looks great though.
I think the norm is 6 to 8 weeks to recover entirely.

hellenback Sat 09-Jul-11 13:40:51

Thanks heard one horror story where 6 months later someone still in slippers and alot of pain - I assumed all well after 6-8 weeks!!

uggmum Sat 09-Jul-11 13:55:54

I have a double bunion removal years ago. I don't think the op has changed much. They don't usually do both at the same time these days.

After my op I was on complete bed rest with my feet in bandages for 2 weeks. (not allowed to put my feet to the floor). Remained in hospital throughout this time.

Then my stitches were removed and both feet were potted for 8 weeks, I had crutches and got around ok.

After 8 weeks the pots were removed and I had to walk on my feet again. It did take 2-4 weeks until I was confident to walk properly and I did swim every day from the pots coming off and this did help.

I do find that I cannot wear fashion shoes, although my feet are very straight, they can be painful on the ball of my big toe when wearing certain shoes.

I found the days after the op extremely painful. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this op is listed as one of the most painful that you can have. My advice is, do not turn down any pain meds when they are offered.

Hope it goes well

Footle Sat 09-Jul-11 15:19:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Catsu Sat 09-Jul-11 15:31:37

Don't think you can get both done together now unless you go private.
Mil just had one done and was pretty much fine after 6 weeks. Was reliant on crutches though for a while so with 2 feet out of action you'd be more of less immobile for a good few weeks!!

hellenback Sun 10-Jul-11 17:02:26

Thanks for the honesty all - am going private so that can get it done to fit round when family avail to help. Thought best to get both done in order to get it all over and done with as can't really have two blocks of time off feet. Hmmm wonder if this is wise now??? Will take all pain relief on offer and then some by the sounds of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now