Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

PERIORAL DERMATITIS

(4 Posts)
LITTLEGEEK Wed 06-Jul-11 16:30:14

Has anyone got or heard of this? Admitedly it sounds bad but the reality is it looks like I have a cross between adult acne and roscea on my chin. It is not contagioous just looks a bit unsightly when it is really bad. I went to the doctor and got antibiotics but it keeps coming back a few weeks after finishing the course. Have googled it and general concensus is that antibiotics are the way to go. Just wondered if anyone who had it had tried a natural method and got it cleared up.

raviner Sat 09-Jul-11 21:48:43

I had it repeatedly. Took antibiotics each time, started on high dose then reduced. But took them for approx 4 weeks each time. When the pain and itching was really bad I used hydrocortisone cream. I've not had an attack for over a year now. So my advice is to persevere with anti biotics.

LITTLEGEEK Sun 10-Jul-11 13:35:02

Thanks raviner, will be going back to docs this week for some more. Did you get the hydrocortisone cream over the counter or is it a prescription only?

raviner Sun 10-Jul-11 13:53:03

I got the cream over the counter because it was cheaper than paying for prescription, but my GP recommended it. I had the antibiotic on repeat prescription so I could get some as soon as I saw it coming back.

I took oxytetracycline 250mg 4x a day for a week them 2x a day until cleared up completely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now