Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Excruciating heel crack OUCH!

(12 Posts)
LadyWithNoManors Wed 06-Jul-11 16:22:10

My feet are manky. I have neglected them.
As a result I have hardened skin on my heels and a massive heel crack which is very deep and soooo painful!
I am hobbling around.

Are there any chiropodists or similar around to help me sad.
I know I should moisturise my heels and scrape the dead skin etc but it's too late now and too painful.

As I walk around 4 miles a day it just won't heal and is getting worse.

DeWe Wed 06-Jul-11 17:40:31

I get multiple deep cracks on my feet a few times a year. They can be very painful, but the best thing for healing and pain is the simple plaster. Make sure it's firmly on before you go out, and you replace the plaster if it comes off. Usually I find big improvement within 24 hours. Only wish I could prevent them from happening. I sometimes find wearing socks in bed the first night helps a lot because the plasters don't fall off.

MillyMollyMardy Wed 06-Jul-11 18:08:22

Cover feet with cream containing urea (most creams for feet contain it), socks on, go to bed. Repeat. This will really help.

LadyWithNoManors Wed 06-Jul-11 20:03:28

Thanks for the replies. I have a wad of cotton wool held on with surgical tape on at the moment to try and pad it out.
I'll try the cream and socks on tonight.
Thanks.

PaintedToenails Thu 07-Jul-11 21:04:23

Aww, I used to get these...summer and winter, they are so painful.

The only thing I used to do was have a bath (I suppose soaking them in a bowl would have the same effect) and once they were good and soaked, smother them in good old fashioned Vaseline. Then socks over night. Keep it up until they heal and they do heal fairly quickly.

To avoid in the future, you need to either see your friendly local chiropodist or invest in a ped-egg or similar. Get rid of all the scruffy, dried out, thickened skin on your heels (don't overdo it, do it gradually over a few days) and moisturise your feet every night and do the whole sock thing in bed!

You have my sympathies, but it will get better. xx

canei22 Fri 08-Jul-11 19:58:16

I also used to get horrible heel cracks. I now use flexitol heel balm at night with socks.

Works a treat!!

cejay Fri 08-Jul-11 20:43:05

Told to do this at hospital for dd's eczema for extra effectiveness - smother with vaseline but first put on wet cotton socks run under hot tap. Then a dry pair on top . Overnight transformation !!

80sMum Fri 08-Jul-11 20:51:20

I found that Compeed worked very well on a cracked heel.

fridayschild Fri 08-Jul-11 20:53:49

I used the Scholl heel balm for about 10 days, morning and night, till the cracks mended. My feet did not look as lovely as the pair on the packet but they were fine. I carried on running and walking a lot all the time I was using it.

Domesticbodess Fri 08-Jul-11 20:54:55

A chiropodist advised Vaseline on heels wrapped in cling film for bed - bit I think socks do the job too.

neolara Fri 08-Jul-11 20:56:29

I had this and applied some of my dcs' very thick eczema cream. Worked very well.

youarekidding Fri 08-Jul-11 21:09:33

Yes, I used DS' double base and socks. grin works too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now