Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can I get NHS varicose vein treatment even if the vein doesn't hurt but just looks fugly?

(9 Posts)
hmc Wed 06-Jul-11 11:58:37

Have big varicose vein on right thigh. It doesn't hurt and I know this will sound vain and shallow ( I am vain and shallow!) but it's bloody ugly. I have a shapely pair of pins and would look good in shorts - but can't wear them due to the big bulbuous vein. Likewise feel self conscious in my swimmers.

Will the NHS do something about them - is it worth me going to the GP and asking or will he send me away with a flea in my ear?

I suppose I would pay privately if necessary

NightLark Wed 06-Jul-11 12:03:51

Chances are no. Cosmetic treatments are always at the sharp end when funds are tight, and there is usually a need to demonstrate physical harm from the problem. No one should send you away with a flea in your ear just for asking though - just don't get your hopes up.

hmc Wed 06-Jul-11 12:07:38

I thought that might be the case......thanks.

Am tempted to lie and say it hurts blush

munstersmum Wed 06-Jul-11 12:08:37

Depends on your postcode but scarce.
You will wait very long time even if get a maybe.

MollysChamber Wed 06-Jul-11 12:10:49

Depends where you live but IME yes you can. Without much of a wait. It seems it really is a lottery.

hmc Wed 06-Jul-11 12:17:58

Ok - so perhaps, perhaps not. No harm in asking I suppose - will do that. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Thanks all

KilledBill Wed 06-Jul-11 18:20:45

They have recently stopped treating them even for non cosmetic reasons in alot of areas. Part of the cutbacks, but yes you can try.

LineRunner Thu 07-Jul-11 11:38:24

Sympathies, OP.

Does anyone know what the cost ought to be to go privately? I have two very big and very painful VVs in my right leg; I am trying to persudae GP to make a referral (they are not normally funded in my area but GP can still make a referral for clinical reasons I'll wager). But if I and the OP have to go private, what are we looking at in terms of dosh?

hmc Thu 07-Jul-11 11:57:14

Sorry yours are painful Linerunner - I can understand why the NHS might not pay for mine, but for symptomatic varicose veins I think it is pretty rubbish if NHS doesn't fund!

Would be useful to know how much it costs and also who to approach (we don't have private health insurance but would pay from cash flow)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now