Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Passing Kidney Stones

(8 Posts)
GrownUpNow Mon 04-Jul-11 21:17:54

Tips on coping with the pain if there are any? Taking full (staggered) doses of paracetamol dihydracodeine, naproxen and nefopam and I am still miserable with the pain.

jjgirl Tue 05-Jul-11 13:13:32

years ago i had a very old GP and just before he retired i went to see him about problems with kidney stones, this is the advice he gave me off the record.

go and buy some beer and drink a beer then same amount of water and then beer until the pain goes away, the stones will flush out a lot better.

i did as he said and got to have 4 cans of beer. i slept well and i felt fine the next morning. however i would hesitate to give this advice to anyone else as it is not supported by the pharmacutical companies (but it has worked for me a few times).

heathste Tue 05-Jul-11 23:14:53

Hi

Has anyone out there developed kidney stones for the first time in their 40s? If you have I would love to chat to you over the next few days for a short health piece I am writing for Candis magazine.

Would love to hear from you.
Heather

heathste Wed 06-Jul-11 11:43:28

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

StupidSexyFlanders Wed 06-Jul-11 11:45:44

You are supposed to pay to advertise.

lookbutdonttouch Wed 06-Jul-11 21:45:40

I have a stuck stone and was kinda hoping it wasn't going to hurt any more when it decided to move. Am deluding myself aren't I.

What is naproxen and nefopam? Are they anti inflammatory? I am on diclofenac and co-dydramol.

Someone with better knowledge may be along soon...

GrownUpNow Thu 07-Jul-11 06:40:16

It passed the other night. Still sore now, and apparently suffering from exhaustion due to being so ill, but not so bad.

Naproxen is another anti inflammatory in place of diclofenac and ibuprofen, which both upset my tummy. Nefopam is a new one on me too, prescribed by a doctor it is another painkiller, where co-codamol is for mild to moderate pain, this one is for moderate to severe, and can be taken alongside codeine and actually increases the effectiveness.

I also got prescribed buscopan, which helps to reduce the spasms causing the pain.

So, I am all better now (sort of) just wondering how I get my strength back, as everything leaves me light headed and out of breath.

lookbutdonttouch Thu 07-Jul-11 13:38:09

Phew, bet you are pleased that's gone then.

I will see my gp about different meds, this is silly. Not known pain quite like it before.

I have had the lithotripsy and having another go next week.

Ouch.

It is knackering, I don't think people ever realise quite how tiring pain can be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now