Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you had a slipped/herniated disc would you risk another pg?

(7 Posts)
EldonAve Mon 04-Jul-11 20:56:03

My back went about 5 months ago, still recovering slowly now but hoping to avoid surgery

If you have experienced similar would you risk another pg?

EldonAve Wed 06-Jul-11 10:20:43

Anyone?

Hopalongcassidy Sun 10-Jul-11 07:46:57

I slipped a disc while pregnant with DD (2nd child). Six months on crutches as it caused sciatica, and still limited movement and daily pain 1year later, despite fab Physio, Pilates, swimming, you name it I've tried it. I'm clinging on to managing with baby and toddler, but every day feels like a massive achievement.

We came to the conclusion we won't be having more children as the risks to my health are too great - though this was also affected by me having a fairly crap 1st pregnancy and birth as well. However at my special Physio class for wonky new mums, someone had just had their second child after slipped disc with first, and was doing great. Maybe it depends on how good your recovery is. How are you doing now? Could you get a heavy regimen of Pilates/core strength in before trying again?

EldonAve Thu 22-Sep-11 18:40:36

Thanks for your reply
I'm doing much better but really need to crack on with sorting my core and loosing the excess weight

Quodlibet Thu 22-Sep-11 18:55:36

I hope a pg after a slipped disc is an option as I'm yet to have a pg but have had 2 slipped discs!

Mine were 4 years ago, and I had recurring pain for 2.5 years. Eventually it was concern of being fit enough to carry a pg with no problems that has been a big motivating factor to sort my back out. I've sorted my back for non-pg life now - no problems or pain for 18 months now and I feel stronger than I have been for years. Dynamic pilates was the key for me, and accepting that if I don't keep fit and stretched and with an active core I will have pain. Obviously I hope that things will be OK if I stay as fit as poss if/when I am pregnant.

I think you're definitely right to think about it well in advance and do what you can to get as fit as possible - it is possible to get to a recovery after a disc goes but you have to look after yourself.

Sorry to hear you haven't got there yet Hopalong, I can't imagine it's at all easy with a baby and toddler.

alypaly Fri 23-Sep-11 21:27:24

i had 3 herniated discs from a head on car crash and had 2 boys after the event.

EldonAve Thu 06-Oct-11 20:44:05

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now