Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

stones!!!

(18 Posts)
suzy75 Mon 04-Jul-11 19:31:29

Hi all - I've suffered with severe abdominal pains on/off for years, and after a horrid bought of pain last month (which lasted over an hour) I went to see my Gp and arranged for an ultra sound scan. Yesterday I was told I had a gallbladder full of stones and kidney stones.
I just wondered if anyone else has had this and what I will expect next! Should I be worried?
Thanks

I had my gallbladder removed. It was keyhole surgery and I was home the same day and hoovering within 3 days! Is does hurt but it was very straight forward and the recovery was very quick (except I couldn't eat anything other than veg for 2 weeks after but apparently that's just because I'm 'odd' grin). I had this done in France while speaking very little French and all was ok smile

Basically, no, you shouldn't be worried.

CandiceMariePratt Mon 04-Jul-11 19:44:00

I have kidney and gallstones. Most of the time I don't notice them but when I do get an attack I drink lots of water and take codeine phosphate then sleep it off usually. Will more than likely have the old gallbladder taken out sometime soon though.

Nobdie Wed 06-Jul-11 07:25:50

Hi I'm on the waiting list to have my gallbladder removed. It is very painful, especially the attacks. I have codeine and buscopan to help with the pain. Also watch what your eating/drinking as certain things set it off. You need to follow a very low fat diet, nothing too oily or spicy. Don't know much about the kidney stones though sorry. Hope you get sorted soon

Limelight Wed 06-Jul-11 21:15:46

Hi! I had gallstones and had my gallbladder removed four weeks ago. It has all been pretty straightforward - keyhole surgery went well and although I felt DREADFUL that day, I was quickly on the mend after that. Very much up and about in a week, and feeling completely fine within 2 weeks.

No noticeable after effects with what I can eat etc post surgery.

I managed the pain prior to my op with round the clock buscopan and diclofenac. Also a practically no fat diet which was surprisingly easy to do (largely because I was able to tolerate heat, so replaced fatty food with spicey food!).

suzy75 Wed 06-Jul-11 21:23:40

Thanks -

I am going to see my Gp next week to see what I should do about them. I am not sure if I want to have my gallbladder out, I don't like that idea of surgery - I could just ask for strong painkillers to deal with attacks. I've tried diclofenac, buscopan and codeine and they didn't really help. The last attack I had was so bad I panicked and hyperventilated until I passed out! Not the best way to deal with it I know - but when I woke later the pain had subsided.

I am more concerned about my kidney stone - I am not sure how big it is - and I don't fancy it getting stuck - I've heard renal colic is very bad. Worse than biliary colic! and that is unbearable. Plus I don't want to have kidney damage.

TottWriter Wed 06-Jul-11 21:27:42

I believe they can dissolve kidney stones with ultrasound, but for gall stones you do need to have gall bladder out, as anything else is temporary at best.

Having my gall bladder out on Saturday. Can't say I'm particularly looking forward to it, but I am comforted by other people saying they recovered quickly (I have two DC under 4, so don't want to be laid up for long!)

suzy75 Wed 06-Jul-11 21:46:31

Tott - I hope your surgery goes well on saturday. Can you let me know how it went. I have 2 children to look after - so I can't afford to be off my feet for long.

How often are you having pain from gallstones?

BluddyMoFo Wed 06-Jul-11 21:48:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TottWriter Thu 07-Jul-11 08:06:28

suzy75 - I've been getting the pain more or less every day for about a year now. To be honest, it's not enormously severe, but I was sent for an ultrasound, they spotted gall stones, and said it would only get worse. The risk is that if you leave gall stones they can eventually block the entrance to the gall bladder and cause more serious problems, so it is important to get it sorted.

My operation won't be the most straightforward, I must admit, as I'm having an endoscopy at the same time to rule out stomach ulcers (my symptoms don't entirely match gall stones), and I have epilepsy, so if I have a seizure any convulsions could obviously aggravate it (though tbh, I tend not to convulse much so I'm not expecting problems). I will let you know how it all goes though.

suzy75 Fri 08-Jul-11 10:32:28

HI Tott - thanks for that, I am seeing my dr next week but it is complicated as I am moving to a new area in a couple of weeks. So I am going to ask for painkillers just in case I get an attack and then I'll register with a new dr.

I got my ultra sound report through and it says my gall bladder is distended and filled mostly with medium sized stones. My Dr said I should sort it out and have surgery after I move. But I'll speak to a surgeon first and then make up my mind. I won't know anyone where I am going, and I have two children to look after. I am worried I won't be up and going straight after surgery - school runs, house etc.

It would be great to hear how you got on after your surgery. I hope it all goes well for you. Good luck!

alwaysme Fri 08-Jul-11 15:10:09

susy75 - I don't want to scare you but will share my cautionary tale!

I am terrified of hospitals and needles, hence ignoring symptoms (didn't have a clue what they were from) for 4 years. Never went near the doctor. Until, one day things were so bad I was literally knocked off my feet, told my husband I thought I was dying and still tried to stop him calling the doctor.

During that time I had lost 2 1/2 stone. Taken off to hospital, diagnosed with gallbladder but, it was also filled with puss and had somehow distended to my lower right abdomen where it had fused itself to my intestines. The doctor said gall bladder trouble should never be ignored it can be life threatening especially if an infected one bursts.

Spent five weeks on antibiotics because they didn't dare touch it in that condition. Eventually had it removed by keyhole, took a lot longer than they expected so, they took a chance and didn't flush the billiary duct. Two weeks later, I am back in hospital with pancreaitis, three stones were found stuck in the billiary duct. I was really ill.

Now that's sorted, I am still left with stomach problems caused by all the trauma.

So please don't try to ignore it, it will only get worse. Oh, and from this absolute coward, the keyhold surgery was probably the least traumatic thing of all, a piece of cake smile

alwaysme Fri 08-Jul-11 15:13:54

What I meant to say was, had I gone to the doctor in the first place, I would have avoided all this and had the quick recovery everyone here talks about.

happilyconfused Sat 09-Jul-11 18:20:23

A scan will show up any gallstones. I had mine out a week ago using keyhole surgery. You will not be able to drive for a week. I feel a lot better now the gallbladder has gone and my surgery scars are getting smaller each time I look

suzy75 Sun 10-Jul-11 18:26:25

Oh dear alwaysme... your drama with your gallbadder sounds awful. I can't believe the mess you were left with! I hope your on the mend now. Pancreatitis is very nasty. Has than gone completely? Are you left with any long term problems?

As I say I will go and see what they say, I just don't have to time or family around to help me out. The idea of not being able to drive for a while is a pain too, however - I don't want to end up in your situation.

happilyconfused - I am glad yours went well! did you stay for just day surgery?

I have heard that you need to change all your eating and dietary habits after surgery - is that true?

Pancakeflipper Sun 10-Jul-11 18:32:50

I am sorry to say that renal colic really hurts. They often check females to see if they are in labour as the pain is similiar. In fact worse. I have had renal colic twice and the first time the nurse told me if I can get through renal colic I could do labour easy peasy... she was right..

I think they can ultrasound big kidney stones and shatter them.

Otherwise they pass through your urine and if in hospital you will have to wee into a bowl, call for the nurse who will sieve your wee in the hunt for stones. It's a joyful job.

Painkillers do help with the pain (if very bad - you get morphine) but you end feeling stoned and really dopey. It is horrible. But once over with - it's brilliant!

happilyconfused Mon 11-Jul-11 12:41:11

Suzy75 - I went into hospital at 12.30 and left at 10am the following day with a bag of painkillers and something to make me poogrin I was on painkillers for a couple of days and I not picking up anything heavy. I was very nervous about eating afterwards as I had heard about the diarrhoea issues that some people have but no problems for me smile I can now eat cheese, chocolate, ice-cream and drink lattes no problems. Still trying to lose weight so I have not been stuffing down naughty food but the tasters that I have had did not make me run to the loo.

I did not drive for a week but I am okay now.

The scars are already barely visible.

Nobdie Mon 11-Jul-11 13:01:33

I can't wait to have mine taken out. Can I ask how long anyone that has had the op how long you had to wait on the waiting list?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now