Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

6 yr old with groin hernia (inguinal?) and no idea what to do...!

(8 Posts)
humptyhoo Mon 04-Jul-11 18:02:01

Hi. My 6 yr old daughter had a big egg sized lump in her groin last wk. I took her to docs immediately by which time it had gone down. Doc thinks it's a hernia. She is prone to constipation (daughter not doc!) which I know doesn't help so I am giving her Movocol on doc's instruc (have always had to give her lots fluids/ fruit etc as always been this way inclined!) but doc v laid back about it and said it will go away as gets older. My only other experience of this was with baby son who had an umbilical hernia which went away, but a friend who has had a similar hernia (albeit in adulthood) is screaming at me to get it sorted out surgically before complications set in. I need my docs to be "onside" and don't want to annoy them by asking for a 2nd opinion but it has come up again a few times that we've noticed (thank heavens for the hot weather and nakedness in paddling pools or we'd never have noticed!). Has anyone got any experience of this and should I be a little more concerned? Thanks for reading...

KurriKurri Mon 04-Jul-11 18:11:22

as far as I know, (no medical knowledge at all, but I've had a hernia), if it disappears/can be pushed back in, that is less worrisome state of affairs than if its a permanent hard lump.

I don't now about childhood hernias, but they may well be different to adult ones. I would just keep a careful eye on it, if it keeps recurring, go back to the doc., obviously if you are worried go back again and ask the doc to explain things better and to advise you about complications.

I had mine about ten years before I got it dealt with surgically.

KurriKurri Mon 04-Jul-11 18:11:59

Not that I'm saying that's wise, - I didn't realise what mine was.

blowninonabreeze Mon 04-Jul-11 18:14:43

I had an inguinal hernia as a child, operated on with an open mesh repair when I was about 7.

They are relatively unusual in girls and I don't think it would be unreasonable of you to ask for either a second opinion from another GP or alternatively if you go to a single handed practice, then ask your GP for a referral to a paediatric surgeon for his opinion.

KurriKurri Mon 04-Jul-11 18:19:06

OK I've had a little google for you. I would go back to a different doctor, and ask for a referral, - it seems they are generally treated by surgery, because loop of intestine can get stuck and then its an emergency. And the fact that she's constipated will mean it keeps coming under pressure I imagine.

Sorry - I'm spouting stuff and I really don't know much except my personal experience, hopefully some one who knows will be along soon.

humptyhoo Mon 04-Jul-11 21:33:05

thanks very much, think I ought to get 2nd opinion...

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 04-Jul-11 21:36:08

my DS2 had an inguinal hernia repaired as a baby, almost as soon as it presented it was operated on

second opinion, I agree

bellavita Mon 04-Jul-11 21:36:12

Both of my boys have had them, both been operated on.

Simple procedure, little cut about an inch long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now