Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

This is prob the wrong place but is health related. Bit sad.

(28 Posts)
PaperView Sun 03-Jul-11 20:15:16

Someone that i know is in a drug induced coma because of a brain haemorrhage. It looks like his brain was bleeding slowly over the course of a week before it "went" (sorry, i don't know the correct words to use.)

He isn't a friend but i do know him and we have mutual friends. I just can't believe that i can be talking to someone and then 2/3 hours later he is so seriously ill that the likelihood of a full recovery is zero if he survives at all sad

belleshell Sun 03-Jul-11 20:17:05

hi paperview,

i have nothing much to add other than hugs...also my mum had a brain haemorrage and survived....i am so lucky to still have her around. fingers crossed for your friend

whysolate Sun 03-Jul-11 20:18:51

Oh PaperView. That's awful. sad

It doesn't have to be someone really close to you to have a big effect on you.

I hope for a good outcome.

PaperView Sun 03-Jul-11 20:19:48

Thanks belle. Just a bit shell shocked still and don't feel i have any right to because i only knew him to have a small conversation with. They have said that the part of the brain that is affected is the bit that controls movement and cognition. He was in a bad way when the paramedics got to him.

Paschaelina Sun 03-Jul-11 20:22:55

Paperview This exact scenario happened to my SIL when she was 19. She's better now, uses a crutch sometimes, gets tired easily and talks slowly but pretty ok really. When she woke up she was in a neuro-rehab unit for some months and has been better for 5 years.

Paschaelina Sun 03-Jul-11 20:24:35

Meant to say with time and intensive therapy people can and do recover.

PaperView Mon 04-Jul-11 11:29:44

Thanks for the reassuring posts. No change last night although he is still stable. They have tried to reduce he sedation but his BP shoots straight up sad

Paschaelina Mon 04-Jul-11 11:51:43

sad. Sil was sedated for two weeks before they attempted to wake her. When she did come round she had to relearn speech and swallowing and balance. All the time he stays sedated gives his body more time to repair itself, ultimately thats what has to happen. So if the bp is going up its too early.

whysolate Tue 05-Jul-11 19:14:45

How are things today Paperview?

PaperView Tue 05-Jul-11 19:40:21

He was stable so they reduced the sedation but his BP shot up and started the bleed again so they put him back under. Good news is that he isn't under as much sedation.

Curiousmama Tue 05-Jul-11 19:44:24

sad really hope he pulls through. Totally understand where you're coming from. It's hard to get to grips with someone being so full of life then this happens?? Makes no sense.

PaperView Tue 05-Jul-11 20:05:03

I still can't get my head round it. If he had been in an accident i think it would be easier in a way because there would be something to blame.

whysolate Tue 05-Jul-11 21:06:47

It must be really hard to come to terms with. Such a shock.

I will keep my fingers crossed for continued improvement, no matter how small.

PaperView Tue 05-Jul-11 21:49:12

Just had a fab update.

He is off sedation and shown a few signs of coming round - arm and finger movement. Having muscle spasms which is apparently good as it has reduced the risk of him being paralysed. BP still high but has been high for a long time b4 the haemorrhage and the bleed seems to have stopped. Blood coming thru the drain is likely to be residue. He reacted to a pinch on his neck too.

Curiousmama Wed 06-Jul-11 08:03:36

Excellent smile Hopefully once he's pulled round they'll sort his BP and it'll avert any future episodes.

PaperView Wed 06-Jul-11 20:14:30

What a rollercoaster this is becoming for his friends and family! He dipped last night and was put back under but now he is breathing on his own and off sedation. WAiting on results of lots of tests tho.

whysolate Wed 06-Jul-11 22:07:54

Things can change so quickly. How are his family holding up?

Keep us updated. smile

PaperView Wed 06-Jul-11 22:14:52

I don't know his family at all. His friends are pretty distraught and am trying to be there for them as they are friends of mine too.

PaperView Wed 06-Jul-11 22:15:23

Thanks for giving me a place to let it out smile

whysolate Wed 06-Jul-11 22:19:05

No problem. I'm sure you'd do the same for us. wink

PaperView Wed 13-Jul-11 22:11:43

He is awake and been moved from HDU to normal ward smile

Responding to voice, focussing and following instructions like stick your tongue out. Not much movement on his RHS but using his left arm to gesticulate.

Paschaelina Wed 13-Jul-11 22:24:37

Brilliant news smile

There will probably be a long period of neuro-rehab now to recover any lost function.

Jux Wed 13-Jul-11 22:37:58

PaperView, that is fantastic news. It is a ghastly thing; my cousin died from exactly this, and yet two other guys I know, who also had brain haemorrhages survived, one completely recovered, and the other a little impaired. There is no telling who/what/when/why.

Glad he's recovering.

Mandy2003 Wed 13-Jul-11 23:02:21

Great news! Did you see 24 Hours in A&E tonight? There was a guy brought in who'd fallen a long way off a ladder onto his head and none of the professionals thought he had much chance with such a severe brain injury. Even his brother was starting to query why they had saved his life sad

But within (I think) a year with neuro-rehab he'd mad a full recovery smile

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 14-Jul-11 09:25:42

I had a brain bleed. 17 years on and you wouldn't know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now