Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

having operation tomorrow (scared) please reassure me...

(7 Posts)
lollipoppet Sun 03-Jul-11 08:11:42

i'm going in to have my gall bladder removed tomorrow- key hole style. i'm getting more and more nervous as it gets closer, mainly about the general anesthetic. i've been under before and waking up was a horrible experience, i was hysterically crying sad
also at the back of my mind there is the (slightly ridiculous i suppose) fear that i just won't wake up again and my gorgeous baby will be without a mummy :'(
another, more rational worry is coping afterwards and recovery, my baby girl is 9 months old, my dp is off tomorrow and tuesday and then my grandma iis helping me out when he's back to work on wed - my mum and dad are on holiday, sod's law!
please reassure me that everything will be fine, give me all the tips and advice you have. thanks!

BluddyMoFo Sun 03-Jul-11 08:17:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bunbaker Sun 03-Jul-11 08:20:34

When the anaesthetist comes to see you before your op do explain your worries and what happened last time. She or he will take your concerns into account and try to minimise a repeat.

My sister had her gall bladder out via keyhole surgery and she recovered very quickly. Try to visualise the positive side of it - no more excrutiating pain and no need to eat such a limited diet.

I know the idea of having an op is daunting so good luck for tomorrow.

happilyconfused Mon 04-Jul-11 16:11:40

Had mine done last week. I woke up from anesthetic convinced I was in a meeting. I am still too scared to try ice-cream or cheese which is probably a good thing because I am still a chunky monkey.

Hopefully your op went ok.

lollipoppet Thu 07-Jul-11 14:53:29

Hi, just thought I'd let you know, op went ok, though when I woke up I was crying and in so much pain I was sure they had done an open operation rather than keyhole. I am at hone now and still very much in pain, is this normal? I can't stand up straight and hardly walk because it is so sore and feels like the stitches will break! I don't think it helps that the cut just below my chest is bigger than it should be because the gall stone was so large they couldn't get it out! (about a golf ball!!)

happilyconfused Thu 07-Jul-11 20:04:24

They should have given you a happy bag of tablets to take to help ease the pain - if not then it is not surprising you are in pain. I took a mix of painkillers for the first three days and then was ok - had sutures out today. Make sure you are wearing some baggy clothes so you are not rubbing against any dressings and keep hobbling around the house! Get the in-laws to do the ironing

PaintedToenails Thu 07-Jul-11 20:45:06

Hello there, lollipoppet.

Sorry to hear you have had to have your gallbladder out, but as with things like this, generally better out than in, if you get my drift grin.

All I can say is that be prepared for the fact that your shoulders may hurt! Sounds odd, but when they go in, air gets in, which then migrates up to underneath your diaphragm, which causes referred pain to your shoulderblades. I had a laparotomy a few years back and had no idea it would happen and then wondered why my right shoulder felt like it had been dislocated....ow ow ow. Agony!!!! sad

Don't worry about your stitches, they'll be fine, try and move about as normally as you can, but don't over do it....use the time to be looked after, if you possibly can!

Hugs...xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now