Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Developmental flat foot

(13 Posts)
rainbowinthesky Sat 02-Jul-11 20:10:12

Dd (aged 7) saw a podiaterist today after years of struggling to buy shoes and finally simply unable to get her a pair that fit. We've been told she has developmental flat foot and we go back next week to get some orthotics to go insider her shoes.

We havent seen the podiaterist through the NHS (just made an appointment privately with a local one) and I just want to make sure we are doing the right thing. They have said we will need to take the insole we will be given with us and find shoes to fit her feet with the insole. However, this is going to be very difficult as her feet will still be an awkward shape with the insoles at least until they become corrected a little adn he said he doesnt really know what to suggest re finding shoes.

Do we need to see an orthopaedic (sp) person and/or an orthotist? Should we just go with what he tells us?

strawberryjelly Sat 02-Jul-11 21:18:59

My DS has very flat feet.

as a 3-4 yr old he saw an orthopaedic surgeon who gave us exercises to do- hopeless as you can imagaine. he thoughthe had floppy joints which would improve as he got older. They didn't.

he has pronounced pronation too- no real problems with shoes except he has very thin feet as do me and DD.

he then saw a podiatrist in his teens and physios who siad orthotics was the way to go. he is now 24 and uses them all the time.

He could have surgery but it is risky and recovery time is long.

if i were you i would seek another opinion and see what's suggested.

rainbowinthesky Sat 02-Jul-11 21:41:31

Thanks. I have been refered to seen an orthotist via the NHS but figure this may take some time. I am worried that I am making a mistake just trusting someone I found by googling on THursday and seeing on Saturday and paying just £30 for a consultation.
I might start by seeing an orthotist privately whilst waiting for the NHS.

rainbowinthesky Sun 03-Jul-11 09:00:47

Bump for the morning crowd. smile

Elibean Sun 03-Jul-11 15:55:53

Both my dds have flat feet, the little one (4) also pronates (ankles roll in) and has had trouble walking far without pain.

We got an NHS referral for her, to orthopaedic surgeons: she was prescribed insoles - this was back in March - we are STILL waiting for the insoles, and her feet have grown at least one size bigger hmm

GP advises ditching NHS and going to a Scholl clinic, or similar, if we are prepared/able to pay (we are) for private orthotics, as the service has been diabolical.

rainbowinthesky Sun 03-Jul-11 15:58:55

Thanks. WHen she walks her feet roll inwards although it doesnt cause her pain. She has always complained of her feet/legs aching if we walk long distances and I always put this down to her just moaning (feel guilty now!).

I can get her orthotics next week but not the shoes for them to go into. I think dh is going to take her privately this week to orthotics so at least we are getting somewhere whilst waiting for the NHS.

Elibean Sun 03-Jul-11 16:07:12

Sounds like a good move smile

Maybe the orthotics people can recommend shoes??

HidinginaHardHat Sun 03-Jul-11 16:07:41

Insoles/orthotics are a god send. I have flat feet with pronation and without the insoles i end up with really painful hips at the end of the day.

I have 2 sets and they fit all shoes (are a godsend in converse!)

The DC need insoles for the same reason but I can't find any anywhere for kids, whereas mine i bought off the rack in boots!

rainbowinthesky Sun 03-Jul-11 16:09:22

The podiatrist told us we'll have to go round the shoe shops trying to find shoes to go with teh orthotic and we need to make sure they fit in a particular way. I explained that was very difficult for us to do and I've already spent an obscene amount of money recently on shoes that are no good adn cannot afford to keep doing so.

mankyscotslass Sun 03-Jul-11 16:19:56

DD has flat feet, and pronation, plus hyper mobility.

She has insoles, we were referred to our local gait clinic by our GP.

She initially had full sole off the shelf insoles that the orthotics said were the first port of call. When they were not as effective as hoped she was fitted for specially made ones that last ove 2 full shoe sizes. They are rubber and flexible and easier to fit in shoes, so fab all round.

We usually struggle to get her shoes as her feet are so narrow, but that actually helps a bit with the insoles as it means we can go up in width if needed.

I'm about to request DS2 is referred and I think he will be a problem, his feet are broad to start with.

rainbowinthesky Sun 03-Jul-11 16:23:04

CAn I ask those of you who use ortotics for kids, how often they are looked at? THe podiatrist said just once a year, which to me doesnt seem often enough considering her feet are at quite an angle.

mankyscotslass Sun 03-Jul-11 16:54:37

She went at first every 8 weeks, but once the specially made orthotics were given to us they said to only go back once her feet grew 2 full sizes.

The way DD's feet grow that will be 18mths-2 years, though they did say she could go back earlier if I was overly concerned.

rainbowinthesky Sun 03-Jul-11 17:14:00

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now