Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Plaster cast question, also bone healing question.

(5 Posts)
Backinthebox Sat 02-Jul-11 10:13:22

It would seem that my falling-off-horses-in-spectacular-cossack-stylee skills are not what they once were, and I now have a broken ankle with some screws in it, plus a backslab plaster cast on my leg. I know the cast needs to be on tight enough to hold my ankle stable, but it seems to be so tight round my toes and ball of my foot that I have pins and needles under my foot and am loosing sensation in my big toe. My ankle is sore as you might expect, but I am much more irritated by the vice-like grip on my foot. Is this normal?

Secondly, does anyone have any top tips for best bone healing, such as supplements, etc? I have a 3yo and a 10mo, and was supposed to be going back to work, so need to be back up to sprinting speed asap!

follyfoot Sat 02-Jul-11 10:16:05

I'd say no its not normal and go to A & E to get it checked.

bagelmonkey Sat 02-Jul-11 10:21:34

What follyfoot said. Not normal. Needs checking.
Make sure you have plenty of calcium (dairy) and vitamin D (sunlight).

PIMSoclock Sat 02-Jul-11 10:31:19

A backslab or half plaster cast is designed to allow for a bit of swelling in the ankle.
Try and sit with ur leg elevated above ur heart for an hour and see if that helps. If not, you will have to go and get the plaster replaces and ask them to pad ur sore areas well when you do.
Zinc for inflammation (30mg per day)
Glucosamine will help rebuild soft tissue (over 1gram per day)
Cod liver oil for joints
Calcium for bone growth

Hope that helps x

Backinthebox Sat 02-Jul-11 15:40:53

Thanks. Have been back to the hospital and they said it was too tight, but due to the incisions made to put the screws in they could not remove the whole cast till Wed next week, but nibbled away the edges a bit to make a bit more room round my toes. It feels better there now, but has highlighted just how tight it is all over. I have to lie on my back till Wed and then they will take it off and put a new one on.

PIMsoclock, thanks for the supplements info! More internet shopping for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now