Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Private health care - any suggestions?

(5 Posts)
MadYoungCatLady Fri 01-Jul-11 23:30:36

I've really had it with the NHS in my area and am considering going private.

I've had a look at bupa, axa etc but it doesn't seem that accomodating or comprehensive. I am 17 weeks pregnant, have IBS (previously diagnosed as non-specific colitis) and bi polar type 2. No insurance policies seem to cover the sort of care I will require, namely maternity, gastroentorology (sp?) and psychiatric.

If I want to go private, do I have to speak directly with private hospitals/clinics and pay them or are there any policies out there that cover pre-exisitng conditions, psychiatric and maternity? My last two visits to gp have resulted in tears after being (albeit loosely) accused of dealing pain medication, and now being denied pain medication because it is 'addictive'. I am not going back to that surgery ever again especially after tolerating a painful examination today that was totally uncalled for.

I don't know what else to do sad

scurryfunge Fri 01-Jul-11 23:34:19

Change your GP if you are not happy. You may have just had a bad experience with your doctor.

MadYoungCatLady Sat 02-Jul-11 00:40:21

Its been 2 different GP's at this particular surgery. I've moved area and had to change practice, previously I had a wonderful GP.

I have had many, many bad experiences in my local (and only NHS) hospital from nurses shouting down wards my symptoms to make the ward laugh, being told to be quiet whilst in the late stages of labour, to receptionists talking exceptionally loudly about a brand new grandchild who had just been born whilst I was experiencing a miscarriage (they did know this).

Maybe I'm high maintenance - if I am, I don't really care I just want to be treated with some bloody respect when I am in pain sad

strawberryjelly Sat 02-Jul-11 13:15:26

I've been lucky enough to have private insurance for over 20 years and the provider has changed several times- it's a company scheme.

IME none will cover you for chronic long term conditions.

Theyare there to provide quicker access for acute conditions so you can queue jump and have more time per appointment at at atime of your choice etc.

You will also find that you would not be covered for any chronic condiiton/claim for these up to 2 years after your previous treatment for any of them.

In most cases, you need a written referral from your GP to access the private consultant. Those who will see you without a referral do exist- I see one who does- but my insurance co. would not cover me for claims until my GP had completed paperwork confirming my symptoms.

Can't comment on your previous issues with GPs but it does sound like a breakdown of or poor communication between both parties.

In your post when you described other people's behaviour- did you challenge them at the time in a non confrontational manner? You come over as being a tad over-sensitive.

Mellowfruitfulness Sat 02-Jul-11 13:30:08

I don't think you will be able to go private if the private company thinks it won't be able to make a profit out of you. [bitter and twisted emoticon].

I agree with Scurryfunge that changing your GP might be your best option. Would you be able to take someone with you when you go to hospital or to see the doctor?

Good luck with your pregnancy and all the best for your delivery. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: