Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

When can children get braces on their teeth?

(9 Posts)
Pang Thu 30-Jun-11 23:35:04

My DS has a small jaw and crowded teeth. I think he need braces but the dentist says not yet because he is only 12yrs. I am worried that if we wait longer he will not want to get them because of teenage vanity. Is 12 really too young for braces?

thisisyesterday Thu 30-Jun-11 23:38:32

i had mine on at 12

depends if all the adult teeth are through yet though iirc

Pang Thu 30-Jun-11 23:43:00

No all the adult teeth are not through. No space for anymore. He has a very crowed mouth and it is making it hard for DS to brush teeth properly. I am worried that his teeth will start to rot where the teeth over lap.

Ponders Thu 30-Jun-11 23:56:15

It seems to depend on the orthodontist concerned.

DS2's teeth were just like your description of your DS's - worse, if anything (not just crowded, his incisors came in one behind the other shock) - luckily for him his older siblings were already seeing an orthodontist so she took him on too & started treatment when he was about 10.

He had to have 2 lots of extractions, first milk teeth (at least 8 of those iirc) & then some adult teeth (4 of those I think), & as well as fixed braces he had one of those palate-stretching things where you turn a key every night - oh, & a thing where his lower & upper jaws were connected with a little rubber band at night to bring his lower jaw forward.

Anyway all his treatment was finished before he turned 14.

Does your dentist have an orthodontist in-house or refer somewhere else?

ragged Thu 30-Jun-11 23:57:57

You need an orthodontist opinion, not your dentist's expertise to say?!
DS had a brace at 8yo to correct cross bite. But that was a specific short-term goal; he only wore it for about 6 weeks.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 01-Jul-11 11:10:12

an orthodontist opinion would be of most use to you. dd is 11 and has a twin block to improve her lower jaw size. She does have all of her teeth but the orthodontist told us the optimum time for these braces is when they are in the pubertal growth spurt.

I had my braces on when I was 10. I think your dentist should be referring you to an orthodontist.

crazycarol Fri 01-Jul-11 16:51:34

DD was referred to orthodontist at age 10. She had impacted canines and very slight over crowding (I've seen lots worse!). They didn't start active treatment until she was about 12 and got braces just before 13th birthday. She is now 15 and we are just about at the end.

Pang Fri 01-Jul-11 17:41:18

Thanks all! I will see if my dentist can suggest an orthodontist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now