Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Long-haul flight after a DVT.

(8 Posts)
vigglewiggle Thu 30-Jun-11 21:00:17

I am due to fly to Australia in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering what additional precautions to take. I had a DVT following childbirth 3 years ago and I was treated for 3 months with Fragmin.

I will do all of the recommended things - I have custom-made compression stockings, i'll keep hydrated (i'll try to keep off the wine wink) and i'll move around as much as possible.

I'm just wondering whether my GP would be willing to give me Fragmin (or similar) to administer before each flight? Has anyone done this?

I will, of course speak to my GP, but this is all very last-minute and I wanted to go in prepared.

IntotheNittyGritty Thu 30-Jun-11 23:11:39

your doctor is the only person who should be advising you, based on your individual situation.

Sorry I cant be more helpful

vigglewiggle Thu 30-Jun-11 23:23:44

Yes, thank you. I did say I will be seeing my GP, I just want to know if anyone has any experience of this.

vigglewiggle Fri 01-Jul-11 08:52:02

Bump

vigglewiggle Fri 01-Jul-11 21:43:27

Anyone?

OpusProSerenus Fri 01-Jul-11 21:47:29

Checking with GP is best idea as they can weigh up the best option for you. One option they might consider rather than Fragmin might be low dose aspirin for a short course.

vigglewiggle Fri 01-Jul-11 21:52:52

Thanks.

vigglewiggle Sat 02-Jul-11 16:59:40

Final, desperate bump to find someone who has any experience of this. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now