Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

6 Week Postnatal Check-up - What Happened At Yours?

(8 Posts)
wobblyweeble82 Thu 30-Jun-11 15:07:24

I've just come back from my 6 week postnatal check up and am feeling a bit like a div. My GP seemed very disinterested and I left feeling like I've wasted her time (even though there's one or two issues I wanted to discuss). What happened at yours? Did you have one? Is there a normal set of things that ought be asked/checked? confused

4madboys Thu 30-Jun-11 15:24:15

at mine they took my blood pressure, felt my tummy asked if needed a check down below but i hadnt torn or anything so said no.

talked about contraception, asked if i was still bfeeding.

oh and she weighed me and helpfully told me i still had baby weight to lose (about a stone) which i knew anyway! and she was really snooty about it, wouldnt have minded but she was more than several stone overweight herself!

wobblyweeble82 Thu 30-Jun-11 15:35:44

You sounded like you had more of a check up than me! No BP checked, no tummy felt - she did have a nosey at my bits as I'd had a bad tear but that was it. Nothing about my mental state (I've been a bit neurotic as DD got admitted into hosp at 3 weeks with an infection), nothing about my BF, and she didn't weigh me, didn't ask about contraception and was generally a bit crap. I feel like I've been hard done to! Ooh, she did tell me to do my pelvic floor as things looked 'a bit loose'! Just to cheer me up!

DuelingFanjo Thu 30-Jun-11 15:38:04

I didn't get one.

gourd Thu 30-Jun-11 16:01:34

I had a smear test at mine (I think it was actually at 10 weeks) but that's cos I asked for it as it was overdue anyway. Other than that, it was completely pointless - I got asked in a tone that implied complete disinterest (and came from behind a screen whilst i was putting my trousers back on!!!) "Any problems down below?" and "How are you finding it?" and that was it! I knew it would be a waste of time as a post natal appointment only, so that's why I booked the smear at the same time.

MerylStrop Thu 30-Jun-11 16:05:13

First time it went like this:

How are you feeling?
Ok thanks
How's the baby?
Oh he's fab, thanks
I don't want to patronise you but I am supposed to talk to you about contraception.
Consider me spoken to, cheers.

Declined with the subsequent ones - receptionist said they were obliged to offer an appointment.

chocolateyclur Thu 30-Jun-11 16:16:08

Asked me if I was okay - I said I was except that I had a LOT of internal scarring from forceps, and I asked for some advice as it was VERY painful to stand for more than a minute. She advised me to "massage it", then asked me if I wanted a coil fitted. I informed her that contraception was the least of my worries, as if ex ever brought his penis within 3ft of me I would have to slay him.

cardamomginger Thu 30-Jun-11 16:48:33

Mine felt pretty pointless, but I was seeing a gynae for badly infected open tears by then, so maybe GP thought there was no need to talk about anything much. Did have the contraception talk though - I raised my eyebrows and gave a hollow laugh. Actually maybe it was more hysterical than hollow. And that was that. She examined DD's hips and gave her the once over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now