Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

q to anyone with a coil

(11 Posts)
reastie Thu 30-Jun-11 08:32:07

They say you don't know it's in and that you've got it. I had one fitted last night and I don't think it's my imagination that I can feel something there. Not in a painful way but in a way a bit like a tampon - you sort of know it's there when you think about it but you're not bothered by it type of way. I just wanted to check if this was normal as I'm convinced something will go wrong after all the things the doc said to me yesterday about how they can expel etc etc confused .Maybe I can feel something as my body is settling down to it being there hmm

craftynclothy Thu 30-Jun-11 08:35:12

Yes, totally normal. I was aware of it for about a week. The GP who fit mine said it takes a few days for the strings to soften fully and curl round a bit.

PrettyCandles Thu 30-Jun-11 08:51:32

I was very aware of it for the first few days and had to will myself to ignore it, because it felt like every time thought about it or became aware of it, I had a little cramp as if my body was trying to expel it. It was fitted between periods, and by the time of my next one I had completely forgotten it, and had a little panic because I thought it must have come out without my noticing. So I hada little feel, and the strings were still there. Have been totally unaware of it ever since.

PersonalClown Thu 30-Jun-11 08:53:35

Same for me. About a week after, I realised that I couldn't feel it and panicked a bit too!

4 years later and I completely forget it's in there.

reastie Thu 30-Jun-11 09:39:25

thanks guys <wipes brow with relief> . i seem to notice it much more obviously after going to the loo - i can then feel it for a while as i walk - this is normal too????

Machakos Fri 01-Jul-11 18:13:37

Oh no, now I'm panicking! I've had mine in 6 weeks, and I've never felt it. May be it came out straight away. Got an appointment with the practice nurse next week to check that all is well.

Muckyhighchair Fri 01-Jul-11 18:30:12

Just to help stop your partner panicking at a later date, he may so be also feel the strings when your doing the deed, very normal, nothing to worry about.

And with feeling it in you, it will go over the coming days and in day to day life it shouldnt cause any discomfort or pain.

bubaluchy Fri 01-Jul-11 21:59:51

i had it it was awful, it doest hurt to have it removed, i never got used to the pain

reastie Sat 02-Jul-11 07:00:26

machakos I went to gp to check all was OK and she said i shouldn't feel it at all so examined me and said all ok. i think you shouildn't feel anything so don't worry, maybe i'm odd! fwiw i wonder if it's the strings i feel hmm

TheFlyingOnion Mon 04-Jul-11 06:36:36

I had one put in a few years ago, it was absolutely awful. I managed about 3 weeks worth of agonising pain and bleeding before I had it taken out again. I felt as if my body had gone into labour to expel it...

bubaluchy Mon 04-Jul-11 19:51:29

theflyingonion I' with you on that one, it is so very painful and disruptive,, never again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now