Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gallbladder or something else - worried :(

(14 Posts)
Chundle Tue 28-Jun-11 21:29:27

Hi all. Right I'll start at beginning. Ovr last few years I've had a few bouts of severe pain on right side of stomach usually after overindulging! It usually goes after a few hours so never got it checked out. I got it a few weeks ago bad and went to doc who said prob gallstones and I've got app for scan on 12 July. However he said if it is gallstones pain would go in a day or so and weeks later I'm still in pain. I can't lie on my stomach at night and if my stomach is touched just on/under my bottom rib on the right it's agony, also hurts when I cough or sneeze. I'm starting to worry it's something more sinister as my usual pain that I've experienced has been intense but only lasted a few hours not weeks sad
Has anyone had gallbladder pain that's lasted this long? I'm worrying myself sick! I've felt a bit nauseas before the pain originally came on and couldn't eat large meal without feeling a bit sick.
How silly of me but I'm actually hoping it is gallstones!

Chundle Tue 28-Jun-11 21:30:10

Sorry forgot to add I'm only 29 if that makes a difference and averts weight/size

ohnelly Wed 29-Jun-11 14:54:06

Hi I'm waiting for an operation to have my gallbladder removed after being told I have gallstones. The gallbladder is quite high up just underneath your ribs, just to the right of the centre (about where your bra sits) If your pain definitely in your stomach? If so, I can't see how it could be gallstones tbh? My pain is not continuous, but I have attacks after eating certain things which are really painful. They usually last about an hour. The first time I had it, I went to a&e as I though I was having a heart attack!

ohnelly Wed 29-Jun-11 14:56:24

Just re-read your post about pain under rib! Did the gp give you painkillers while you wait for scan? I have buscopan and codeine in case it gets bad

Chundle Wed 29-Jun-11 19:28:23

Thanks nelly yes I've got codeine. My previous attacks use to only last an hour or so then disappear. But this is constant. However my grandfather had an infected gallbladder and it was swollen and his pain was continuous he said. My grandmother actually died of gallstone complications. Something just doesn't feel right IYSWIM When I press my abdomen just under my rib it feels a bit weird and lumpy. Going to be worrying until my scan I think

thelittlebluepills Wed 29-Jun-11 20:51:04

Chundle - obviously if you are worried please speak to your GP but the pain you had sounds just like what I was experiencing with gallstones. like a nagging pain there all the time. You'll know if the situation gets worse as you will start vomiting bile and you'll go yellow (eyes particularly) - then you need to go to A&E as it will be a stone obstructing the bile duct.

Hope you get it sorted soon

Chundle Wed 29-Jun-11 21:29:18

Thanx blue that's reassuring

pinkytheshrinky Wed 29-Jun-11 21:36:47

I had continual pain - no attacks after eating and it went on for several years - I had loads and loads of tiny stone, one of which got stuck so I got the op done in two weeks

MoreBeta Wed 29-Jun-11 21:40:07

Chundle - unfortunately the average GP is very poor at spotting gallstone symptoms and no the pain does not always go away when it is serious. In the end my gallbladder pain was continuous and occassionally excrutiatingly so.

Eat very light (eg vegetables, fish) zero fat (ie no cheese) meals and no alcohol until you have the scan. Definitley no hefty steaks, pork chops, curry, chilli or red wine.

The pain under the right rib sounds like the right place. In the end it tracksround the back and into your shoulder blade.

Chundle Wed 29-Jun-11 21:59:02

Thanks pinky
MORE- thanks for advice that's fab x

ohnelly Thu 30-Jun-11 11:16:40

Pastry definitely sets me off! I'm scared to eat it now!

pigpog Fri 01-Jul-11 22:31:43

How're you doing?

The pain you're having sounds exactly like mine was with gallstones, certainly the right area.

I had a stone block my bile duct last October, for a week, and I was Simpson yellow. My eyes were yellow after 2 days so I think if you've no jaundice, urine is yellow and not brown, and your poo is brown and not grey, it's probably not a blockage there.

I also had continuous pain when my gallbladder became infected, but it was so bad I couldn't move, and was rushed to hospital to have the gallbladder removed.

I used to get the not being able to lie on my front and having a constant ache too, never explained though. I did wonder if it was my gallbladder being so full of stones that did it. Only a scan will show how many stones are in there.

I did get to a point of being scared to eat anything at all, gallstone pain is horrendous so you have my deepest sympathies- I hope it gets sorted soon!

lisad123 Sat 02-Jul-11 00:44:08

I had one attack that went on for weeks, never had one before. I developed complications and so only had 3 weeks of pain before they whipped it out. I lost 2 stones in those 3 weeks as could barely eat anything without being in pain, so spent most of it on a drip sad

happilyconfused Mon 04-Jul-11 16:22:23

Better out than in! The scan will confirm if you have gallstones or not. Whilst waiting for surgery I was also advised to avoid coffee esp lattes and cappacinos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now