Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would anyone like to talk to me about NOT having toothache?

(17 Posts)
KatyMac Tue 28-Jun-11 20:53:57

I don't have toothache; mind-numbing, pulsing, throbbing, agonising, pain

I do have a jaw with a dull, slightly full feeling, achy in a non-specific way

Is it really toothache (I had a filling a few weeks ago) or is it something else?

BeeBread Tue 28-Jun-11 20:57:32

Do you have any difficulty opening your jaw?

I grind my teeth at night and it means that the next day my jaw can feel achey and can even lock. Sound familiar?

madhattershouse Tue 28-Jun-11 20:58:35

I get an ache like that just before I get a cold sad

KatyMac Tue 28-Jun-11 21:00:27

It's my top jaw Beebread although I do know the feeling you mean

Not sure it feel coldy............Oh I don't know <feels a bit daft>

eatyourveg Tue 28-Jun-11 21:21:43

oh beware - that sounds like what I had niggling on and off for about a fortnight then wham bam full blown toothache ear ache, pain under the eye too (follows the nerve) which turned out to be an abcess under the tooth. Puss had nowhere to go so it headed down the nerve aparently, still on antibiotics

get it checked out before it turns into pain like no other

KatyMac Tue 28-Jun-11 21:31:57

Oh

Oh dear

Bugger

I wonder if the dentist would be able to look at it & tell? Or an X-ray or something?

sprinkles77 Tue 28-Jun-11 21:33:37

Sounds like it could be sinusitis. Get it checked out though.

KatyMac Tue 28-Jun-11 21:35:39

I've had sinusitis before it was eye sockets & forehead for me

This is under my cheek bone (ish)

Footle Tue 28-Jun-11 21:36:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Grumpystiltskin Tue 28-Jun-11 21:40:04

X rays won't necessarily show anything, infection has to be present for quite some time before it affects the bone to the extent it can be seen on an x ray. There are other tests that we can do though so best to call your dentist ASAP. Probably half the patients I see in my Sunday emergency clinic are about to go on holiday/have people over for the week/have an important function to go to.

Best to sort it on your terms rather than worry & wait for it to get worse.

KatyMac Tue 28-Jun-11 21:41:21

Definitly

My dentist is very patient with me; I am hard work

KatyMac Wed 29-Jun-11 11:50:29

I have an appointment for next week

Footle Wed 29-Jun-11 18:28:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sprinkles77 Fri 01-Jul-11 14:50:52

As a dentist I can very confidently tell you that not all causes of dental pain, including so called "abcesses" show up on xrays. In order for these particular problems to appear on xrays there needs to be either tooth decay or changes in the bone supporting the tooth. It is perfectly possible to see neither (for example if a filling was placed recently) and yet have raging tooth ache (incidentally, not all dental pain is the result of an abcess exactly). This is because the pain is often caused by inflammation of soft tissue either inside the tooth ("pulpitis") or at the tip of the root ("apical periodontitis"). Until this inflammation has affected the bone (which may take some time) nothing will show on the xray. The opposite is also possible, for the dentist to see changes in the bone or tooth decay on an xray without the patient experiencing any pain. A true abcess results in swelling and can take a long time to develop. katymac I really hope you're feeling better!

KatyMac Fri 01-Jul-11 15:14:12

Actually, I'm in a lot more pain tbh. But I have an appointment on Wednesday so hopefully they will sort it out.

KatyMac Tue 12-Jul-11 00:14:57

He made it a bit shorter & gave me antibiotics

& now I have toothache

triplets Tue 12-Jul-11 07:14:00

I have had toothache for 8 days now, went to the dentist after day 4 and he x-rayed said there was some infection and it could be crowned or come out. I just wanted it gone, so opted for extraction. He gave me antibiotics for 5 days then announced there were no appts until the 21st July!! So still in pain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now