Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Measles risk and MMR delay - what would you do?

(4 Posts)
Phewsers Tue 28-Jun-11 20:49:32

hello

My son is nearly 13 months old, he has not had MMR yet partly because I was scared but mostly because I had an egg allergy as a child, my brother still does have (quite strong allergy). We could not have MMR as it is cultured on chicken eggs. We both therefore contracted measles, mumps etc!

We are yet to check whether my son is allergic because I never cook with eggs so never have any in the house. We will be doing a gradual approach, testing cooked egg on his skin first, then something with egg in it, then if all well some omelette or something.

But we go on hol to Wales a week Friday, and there Has just been an outbreak confirmed in the county we are visiting (10 cases). What would you do? Cancel? Rush testing egg allergy over weekend and then get vaccinated a couple of days before going? Or just go and stop worrying about it?

Oh who'd be a parent? So worrying. Thanks for reading

notcitrus Tue 28-Jun-11 20:57:52

NHS guidance says the MMR is safe even for children with severe egg allergy but they may suggest the child has it done in hospital.
Talk to your GP about it.

Jammygal Sat 02-Jul-11 21:41:48

My son has an egg allergy- he was given it in hospital with no adverse effects ;)

Cattleprod Sat 02-Jul-11 21:46:16

A vaccine doesn't give immediate immunity though, it takes a while to kick in (2-3 weeks at least I think), so having him vaccinated a couple of days before going away isn't going to give him complete protection afaik.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now