Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I be thinking about the morning after pill?

(8 Posts)
WishIwasatWimbledon Tue 28-Jun-11 10:29:49

I get really confused about when I forget to take my contraceptive pills.

On Sunday night, DP and I ... well you can imagine.

I took the first one of my new pack of pills as normal on Sunday evening. But then I forgot to take Monday night's one and only remembered this morning. So about 12 hours late.

Do you think this has messed up my contraceptive pill and their effectiveness?

Thanks

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 28-Jun-11 10:31:09

I don't know but your local pharmacist or NHS direct will know. I would suggest you get very prompt advice and go now to the pharmacy. Afaik the effectiveness of the MAP is reduced after 24 hours so time is of the essence here.

CMOTdibbler Tue 28-Jun-11 10:36:48

If its the combined pill ? Then 12 hours late is ok.

WishIwasatWimbledon Tue 28-Jun-11 10:40:09

Yes, it's cilest, I think that's a combined one. Probably ok. I'll ring nhs direct to be sure though.

EDD24may Tue 28-Jun-11 10:51:24

Hi, if combined pill you've got up to a day to be late in first 7 days of new packet, if middle/end of packet you can miss 2 pills but if due a break run the pill packets back to back rather than take the break. If cerazette you have 12 hours to be late so if over 12 hours you need emergency contraception.if other progesterone only pill you only have 4 hours so need em contraception. If you need em contraception you can go to walk in centre or call your gp.either see them this morning or ask for telephone emergency consultation and they might be happy to prescribe over phone.every hour you wait em contraception is less effective so worth being pushy.you can buy from chemist too. If combined pill d9 you know you can now take back to back with just 4 day break every 3 (or more) months? ...most of us forget our pills at start of new packet so this less risky. Your gp /fp clinic will also ne able to offer one of the coils or implants if that suits better...no remembering pills as well as the million other things we have to remember!

I work in
Family planning x

EDD24may Tue 28-Jun-11 10:53:29

Sorry you posted vilest while I was typing...slow, doing on phone while feeding! X

EDD24may Tue 28-Jun-11 10:54:19

Cilest not vilest...Damn predictive text!

WishIwasatWimbledon Tue 28-Jun-11 10:59:12

Marvellous, thank you all. I rang NHS direct and they advised it was ok as it is Cilest and I had taken the missed one within 12 hours.

EDD, I think I will start referring to it as vilest from now on - much more amusing! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now