Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

What is the tretment for huge sunburn blisters on feet ??

(9 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Tue 28-Jun-11 08:42:40

Hi, my DH spent the day at the beach on sunday and has huge, very raised blisters on the front of his feet. It's even hard for him to walk around and very painful even to put a sock on.
I've advised him to see the Dr but I'm not sure if he will. I'm going to bed in a minute as I worked last night and he's at his mums with our daughter, so I won't be there to make him go.
Is there any advice I could give him until he sees the Doc? One of the blisters I noticed is leaking so there could be a risk of infection.

fluffles Tue 28-Jun-11 08:50:08

oh god, i did this once... i went sailing, suncreamed all over while wearing shoes, kicked them off as i got in the dinghy.. didn't realise what i'd done till miles out on the lake with no shade... ouch!

yes, there is some risk of infection but you can use dettol wipes or anything else you'd use for a child's cut or graze. if you want to use a dressing, make sure it's designed not to stick (gauze sterile dressing) I also used ice packs to bring the swelling down.

then he'll have to keep an eye on them for ever for any minor changes that may need investigating for melanoma.. sad

mummyloveslucy Tue 28-Jun-11 09:06:34

Thank you. I think he might need them dressed properly, as they are so raised it's hard to do anything with them. I'll also keep a look out for any changes in this skin. He's very fair skined and has been burned so many times, you'd think he'd be more careful. He does use factor 50, but just doesn't make sure every where is covered.

Footle Tue 28-Jun-11 19:26:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KurriKurri Tue 28-Jun-11 20:17:27

Here is a site with some information mummyloveslucy here a quick glance suggests you DH has second degree burns, they are large and on his feet - all these factors suggest he should see a doctor. And since his blister has burst he's at increased risk of infection. IMO (I'm no expert) he should get them dressed properly and have them checked on until they heal. Poor chap - forgetting to screen everywhere is easily done.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 28-Jun-11 20:28:43

he needs to get them seen by a medical person. absolutely no doubt about it. Please dont try other home remedies. He needs proper dressings and treatment.

Cymar Tue 28-Jun-11 21:02:18

When he gets home tell him (or leave him a note if you'll be in bed) to fill a basin with fridge-cold water and put his feet in it for at least 10mins. He should take his feet out and gently pat dry. If his feet get very warm again after about 5mins, then he should replace the water (tap water will do) and immerse his feet again for another 5-10mins. I've done this before now with my own feet and slathered them with fridge-cooled afterburn gel or aloe vera gel.

He should still see his GP for more advice and further treatment.

mummyloveslucy Wed 29-Jun-11 22:48:47

Thanks everyone, he has been and had them dressed. He now has to go every day to have them re-dressed. The nurse said it was one of the worst cases she'd seen. (And gave him a ticking off about forgetting to sun cream his feet). He's still glad he went though. smile

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 30-Jun-11 08:01:31

Phew! I am really glad he went. I think people forget that a burn is a burn whether its from the sun or from heat. I hope he heals quickly and that the itching part isnt too bad.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: