Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

borderline abnnormal smear result and maybe thrush?

(9 Posts)
itsnicetobenice Fri 24-Jun-11 19:46:34

Thats what i got inthe post today, naturally i burst into tears and ocnvicned myself i wasnt going to see my children grow up. I cant beleive i have to wait 6 months to be rechecked. How likely are they to right themselves in this time? i got my results back in a week and for the last 4 daysi have had lower abdomen pain which i got dip tested tonight for infection and came back clear. I wonder if its thrush or something - will it do any harm to whack my spare canesten up there?

PIMSoclock Fri 24-Jun-11 19:50:47

Border line abnormal is nothing to worry about.
Though I did suffer the same reaction. The smallest amount of inflammation can cause this sort of result.
If you are having abdo pain I would suggest asking for a high vaginal swab to make sure there is no infection
Hope that helps x

ellangirl Fri 24-Jun-11 19:52:06

I had a borderline one that corrected itself by the next one- it's quite common I believe. I am still on yearly smears now though, 6 years later.

itsnicetobenice Fri 24-Jun-11 19:57:08

thanks, i will see how my tum is on monday and make an appt if needed to get the swabs. i had something similar last yr that they thought was a cyst but that was all guess work as it righted itself then they said thrush even though i had no itchyness or anything. Anyway they have sent me a re test for xmas week which is nice lol .

BelaLugosiinStripes Fri 24-Jun-11 22:12:42

Borderline changes means there are cells which have changes that aren't quite enough to be definitely abnormal but aren't quite right to be definitely normal. They are often due to things such as hormones, ICUD/IUD use or infections such as Candida (Thrush) or HPV.

Basically the abnormal cells are very active , and conditions such as I just mentioned can also make the cells quite active. Because there's a slight overlap we ask people to come back again in 6 months because the body/cervix has often settled down and it's better than going off to colposcopy for something that will, the majority of the time go away on it's own, a bit the like the body dealing with a cold.
See also the cervical screening website for more info.
The presence of the cervical Erosion or ectropian can mean that these hormonal changes, with inflammation on top can lead to the sample being called borderline.
It may also due to HPV infection which most women at some point in their lives will have had and cleared. You can have had HPV years before as well, as it's spread by skin to skin contact.
I can't say what has caused your result - obviously because I haven't seen the sample. There is overlap between the changes seen in the nucleus of the cell due to things like infection which make the cells active and abnormality which is also really active cells. This is why sometimes you get asked to come back as a precaution.

To put it in perspective we report in our screening lab about 9% of all tests as abnormal and around 4% are borderline changes. The vast majority of women having borderline changes go back to normal without any treatment.

itsnicetobenice Sat 25-Jun-11 10:39:05

Thankyou BelaLugosiinStripes i think i now love you smile. DH strangely made my tea last night though i think this was to save on takeaway money but this am he let me sleep in and came in to wake me just to tell me he was going to asda to do the big shop shock shock shock. I am at ease now thanks to your comments and others and last night i spoke to my friend who had exactly the same - hers did go to pre cancerous but they did the laser thingy and she is fine now so im even prepared for that if it saves anything sinister. Thanks again.

itsnicetobenice Sat 25-Jun-11 10:44:51

also it was day 10 since my lmp - could this have been too early in my cycle?

BelaLugosiinStripes Sat 25-Jun-11 16:22:44

Hi itsnicetobenice
Thanks blush
In answer to your 2nd q: day 10 LMP shouldn't usually affect the result. Sometimes if people are on depo or have a coil (Mirena) then that can make the sample reading slightly more tricky.
Re the possible infection and lower abdo symptoms, it may be worth as PIMSoclock says seeing the nurse and having a HVS to check it out.

Hope your DH gives you a bit more TLC this weekend smile

itsnicetobenice Sat 25-Jun-11 18:14:27

abdo symptoms almost unnoticable today so will see how we go. Thanks again. Dh is currently hoovering right through the house but other than that hes been his usual but i wont stop him wink. Mind you he does think i am doing his tax return grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now