We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS2 has Chicken Pox, DP never had it - should we keep them apart?

(6 Posts)
Chunkamatic Fri 24-Jun-11 14:36:04

Just found out this morning that DS2 has Chicken Pox (2 days before we're due to go on holiday sad sad sad )

Anyway, seems like DP has never had it. I know that it can be worse for adults to have it, but also read that 70% of people who haven't had it have the antibodies to protect them from it.

DS1 so far shows no signs of it, but am assuming that it is only a matter of time, although I am aware that incubation can be up to 3 weeks.

I have the option to take both boys to stay with my parents at least until DS2's spots have scabbed (a week I'm thinking?). But given that DS1 hasn't had it that might end up extending to longer if he starts with spots. All this is so that DP is less at risk from exposure.

However, I am aware that we have all already been exposed to the virus, so is it just futile? I dont really want to have to drive 200 miles and end up quarantined up there indefinately. BUt at the same time I will feel wretched if DP does get it and ends up really ill. WWYD?

ellangirl Fri 24-Jun-11 19:48:45

The incubation period is a good few weeks as you know, so your DP has already been exposed. I would say it was futile to go to stay with your parents purely in order to protect your DP. It might be nice to have support from them while kids are ill though? Just another way to look at it.
Chicken pox is a lot more unpleasant in adults, so fingers crossed your DP doesn't develop it!

MayDayChild Fri 24-Jun-11 19:56:36

Hope you are not flying on your hols..... You won't be allowed on plane with spots. If hey have scabbed you might want to consider doc letter. And get insurance for DP and DS1 Incase they get it on flight home

exexpat Fri 24-Jun-11 20:07:05

Too late to keep your DH or other children away - it is most infectious in the couple of days before the spots come out.

AllGoingSouth Fri 24-Jun-11 21:47:53

If your dh does come out in rash would recommend asking doc for antiviral medication -needs to be started within 48hrs of rash appearing. My son gave my DP chicken pox and he was really ill . I have honestly never seen spots like it - even the doc was shocked at the state of him! He was off work for 3 weeks and we had to cancel our holiday. Also DP didn't get the pox until 3 weeks after son had it - just as I thought we had got way it - typical!

Chunkamatic Fri 24-Jun-11 22:34:44

Thanks everyone you've confirmed what I thought.

We were meant to be flying so holiday is cancelled. In process of finding out whether or not we can claim back. Terrible timing but what can you do.

Have also read about anti-viral drugs so will be on to those as soon as we see any spots on DP, if indeed we do.

Have a feeling it's going to be a long week....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now