Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

negative results of smear test

(8 Posts)
archieleach Fri 24-Jun-11 12:24:47

I've just heard that my wife has to go to hospital next week as a result of a smear test this week. She said the results show that it is at the severe end of abnormal. Without trawling the internet as I am leaving work soon to go home can anyone tell me what this might mean. I know I have no details for you, but anyone?

yummychoccycake Fri 24-Jun-11 17:59:23

HI,
I have just recieved a letter this morning with exactly the same wording as your wife.
I know of lots of people who have had to have treatment because of abnormal cells found, but to what extent i dont know.
To be honest im a blubbering mess and totally petrified at what they may find-cancer.
On the other hand its unlikely but still needs to be treated before it does turn sinister.
Im sorry i have probably worried you even more.
At least your wife hasnt left it like many women do, and she is getting it sorted.

Good luck

tribpot Fri 24-Jun-11 18:03:31

Keep posting here but Jo's Trust is an excellent resource, also with message boards. Fingers crossed for your wife, and you, yummy.

archieleach Fri 24-Jun-11 21:21:41

Thanks for your advice.

deleting Fri 24-Jun-11 21:28:13

I've had this. cinIII which is severe, but it's still pre-cancerous. she will probably be going to the colcoscopy dept and they look at the cervix through a microscope and put some sort of stuff on it that shows up the cells, then (this is what happened to me anyway) they told me to come back in six months. Went back and they lasered them off. I have to go for yearly smears now, but was all fine. It's not a particularly nice experience and the lasering makes you a bit sore, but not awful. Hope she's okay (I'm sure she will be, since I've had it done it's amazing how many other people I've met who've also had the laser treatment). Good luck.

BelaLugosiinStripes Fri 24-Jun-11 22:09:43

Hi
2nd tribpot re Jo's trust. Also the colposcopy society website has some really useful info.
If you do a search on my username then you'll find a few threads fairly quickly with peoples' experiences of investigation and treatment.

irishqueen Fri 24-Jun-11 22:19:13

I had this after a smear done when pg! The referral was to the colposcopy clinic. My cells were cin3 as well which is severe but not yet cancer ... I had to wait for treatment though due to pregnancy! I went back last month and they did what deleting said! I'm my case I had a lletz treatment which means they cut out the bad area (fingernail sized) ! It was uncomfy and I was a bit crampy after but tbh the local anathestic hurt more! The consultant was fantastic and I now just have to have smears 6 monthly! Your wife will be panicing but they have caught it in time and its very treataable. HTH

irishqueen Fri 24-Jun-11 22:19:13

I had this after a smear done when pg! The referral was to the colposcopy clinic. My cells were cin3 as well which is severe but not yet cancer ... I had to wait for treatment though due to pregnancy! I went back last month and they did what deleting said! I'm my case I had a lletz treatment which means they cut out the bad area (fingernail sized) ! It was uncomfy and I was a bit crampy after but tbh the local anathestic hurt more! The consultant was fantastic and I now just have to have smears 6 monthly! Your wife will be panicing but they have caught it in time and its very treataable. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now