Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Heart tests/operation anyone??

(20 Posts)
lisad123 Thu 23-Jun-11 23:23:54

After lots of ongoing heart worries and tests, they have told me they want to do a small operation at St Marys London.

Its here

anyone had it done? How long did you have to stay in for? I have 2 autistic girls and everything needs to be planned in our house.
Does it hurt?
Im worried about laying still for 2-4 hours too!

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Fri 24-Jun-11 08:35:39

I've spent several years avoiding having this done.

Not helpful, I know, but at least I can perhaps understand something of your worry <offers hand to hold>

alypaly Sat 25-Jun-11 00:47:31

whats the op lisa. ive just had an angio as doc suspected a problem.

lisad123 Sat 25-Jun-11 10:05:55

The link is on op, I can't remember name, but if you click on link, it takes you to info.
Thanks breast, it's been four years of hospitals, A&E visits and drugs, think they have had enough of me now grin

lisad123 Sat 25-Jun-11 17:23:10

Bump

noddyholder Sat 25-Jun-11 17:24:55

I have had this procedure. It is absolutely fine x

Littlefish Sat 25-Jun-11 17:43:18

I've had it. I then had a similar thing a couple of months later on the strength of what they discovered about my heart's circuitry. The second operation was using sound waves to burn away an additional nerve circuit, or something like that due to super ventricular tachaecardia.

I stayed in overnight but needed to take it easy for a couple of days after the first procedure, and needed at least a week to recover from the second. I was given a wedge to put under my Knees to help me lie still afterwards.

The first time I had it done, it was uncomfortable because I fet really anxious. It feels very strange having someone messing around with your heart and its rhythms! The second time I had it done, I was given something to make me relax (some form of mild sedation) and it was much easier.

I'll be back later so feel free to ask me any more questions.

I forgot to say that I had it done about 15 years ago when the procedure was quite new, so it may well have been refined or improved since then.

noddyholder Sat 25-Jun-11 17:47:56

I also had it years ago. They let me watch on the screen but tbh I didn't really look! I had a bruise and it hurt a bit but the procedure is painless and they expect your heart to 'flutter' a bit and mine did. I was unable to have the procedure required to correct it because of other health issues and have been on medication for 10 years now which has worked in stabilising things Good luck Lisa x

lisad123 Sat 25-Jun-11 23:04:13

they have tried loads of meds, but they make me sick or very tired. Had 2 addimissions via A&E where they had to give me those freaky drugs to slow your heart, while in resus confused
Im wondering how long seriously I will have to take it easy for? I have two autistic girls and a dog here. How long will I have to stay in?
They have said if they find the electrode causing the problem they will deal with it at the same time.
Does it seriously take 4 hours? Am I just having to lay there still for that amount of time?
Do they just numb the area where they put the wires in?
Where did you have yours done?

Littlefish Sun 26-Jun-11 15:05:19

I had mine done at Bristol.

I had the procedure first thing in the morning and went home the following morning.

If they do the radio wave ablation on the day, you will need to take it easy for at least a couple of days at home. Even though it's done under local anaesthetic and mild sedation, it's still an operation on your heart. I'm a teacher and took a week off work.

I had a haematoma bruise thing at the site where the catheter went in which was a bit tender for a few days.

It really is the best thing I could have done though. I went from having daily, debilitating attacks to absolutely none after the first week. It changed my life and I don't say that lightly.

Littlefish Sun 26-Jun-11 15:06:39

Oh, I don't remember it taking 4 hours the second time but then I was so out of it on lovely sedatives that it could have taken 10 and I wouldn't have known or cared!

lisad123 Mon 27-Jun-11 14:21:45

all good information thanks smile
I got letter from proffessor today, saying i has inverted P waves, would have been nice if someone had told me!
I forgot to ask if im allowed to carrying on with normal excersise, what did yours all say?

Littlefish Mon 27-Jun-11 14:28:27

Do you mean, normal exercise before or after the procedure.

I don't remember ever asking, I just carried on as normal before. I gave myself a couple of weeks afterwards, and very very slowly eased myself back into it.

I think you're better off phoning to ask about the exercise question as my heart problem may have been completely different from yours so the advice (or lack of it), might be different.

No idea what "inverted p waves" are - sorry!

lisad123 Mon 27-Jun-11 14:45:58

thats ok, thing is this has been going on for years, they always told me to carry on before, I wished I asked now angry
so what were yours?

Littlefish Mon 27-Jun-11 16:44:26

What do you mean "what were mine"? Sorry - feeling a bit thick this afternoon smile

belleshell Mon 27-Jun-11 20:44:40

Hi lisa, sounds like you have SVT, which is very common and is usually found in adolescence. Basically if this is the case you have an additional pathway from the top of your heart to the bottom of your heart, and on odd occasions the electrical impulse manages to get through the additional pathway. Imagine 2 farmers fields with a wall seperating them. The wall has a kissing gate in the middle that is normal way for the farmer to get throu from top field to bottom, however your wall had got a hole in it, so occasionally the farmer goes throu the hole instead of the gate!!!!

EP studies will check the electrical impulse and how they are conducted ( or how the farmer gets from top to bottom) if they find a hole (additional pathway) they will fix it, this is done by burning away the extra pathway.

have i lost you yet, i hope not........

it usually takes about 2-3 hours depending on what they find, where i work it is done as a day case. afterwards you should take it easy for the next 24 hours but after that you should be fine to carry on as normal.

this procedure is also done for conditions called atrial flutter or atrial fibrillation. atrial fibrillation can take a bit longer.

where do you live?

i might be able to recommend someone who could discuss this with you.

hope i didnt lose you!

Littlefish Mon 27-Jun-11 20:53:00

Mine was SVT too.

lisad123 Mon 27-Jun-11 21:29:15

That makes sense to me grin
I'm in herts.
I had been fine for ages, just that my resting rate was 120bmp which always sent doctors into a spin, the odd attack of running 200+ that required treatment via iv drugs.
However last few months I have had chest pains, dizzy spells, sooo tired too sad

Hopefully get this sorted soon

belleshell Mon 27-Jun-11 21:58:46

120 is ok, at 200 they will fuss about, because you will start to feel crap. all the things you have said. it is the first line treatment for SVT, with out it we will try a whole array of medicines that wont ever stop it but might reduce the events, the ablation will put a atop to it and let you get on and live your live. good look with it all........

Littlefish Tue 28-Jun-11 11:32:38

I agree with Belle about the ablation letting you get on with your life.

Like I said earlier - I haven't had an attack for about 13 years now, having had daily attacks. It really changed my life. No more passing out, no more hyper-ventilating, no crippling tiredness, no social embarrassment etc. etc. etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now