Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

(11 Posts)
annielou1 Thu 23-Jun-11 20:24:50

Hi, I'm 25 and mum to a 6 month old boy and was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome 2 years ago. During the pregnancy my symptoms seemed to ease but obviously since becoming a new mum to a very active boy I am now really struggling again with the fatigue. Once my little one is in bed at the end of the day I feel like I am going to collapse, it's like I go on auto pilot during the day as I have no choice but to push through the tiredness for my son. Just wondering if there are other mums out there who suffer with this? Be good to hear from you as I feel quite down about it, am only 25 yet feel about 65! Thanks x

hiddenhome Thu 23-Jun-11 23:13:28

I used to suffer from this. I found Rhodiola Rosea really helped me. You must get the Rosea variety as that's the one that her performed best in Russian clinical trials. You might have to buy it over the 'net as most health food stores don't stock the right variety. Take it each morning. Don't take if you suffer from high blood pressure.

Spatone Iron is very good for helping any anaemia. Take it with some fruit juice to help iron absorption. Don't take just before/after tea as tannin inhibits iron absorption.

Vitamin B complex

A good quality multivitamin/mineral supplement

Passiflora can help you sleep and help improve the quality of your sleep. If you really struggle to remain asleep during the night, try Valerian as well, but you can always cut this out if it makes you tired the next morning.

Try to get to bed early at night. Don't sit up too late. Try a magnesium/calcium supplement last thing at night to help you relax and sleep. Lavender essential oil sprinkled on the pillow can aid sleep.

Try to avoid junk food, sugary foods/drinks, too much caffeine. Bread and foods with gluten in can lead to tiredness. Try eating oat based foods instead, such as porridge and oat biscuits.

Drink plenty of water as dehydration can cause tiredness.

An antidepressant - chronic fatigue can sometimes be a symptom of depression. If the doctor prescribes you one, take at night as the labels from the pharmacy usually tell you to take it each morning, but they can lead to tiredness, so try taking it at night instead.

I can certainly empathise with you. Chronic fatigue can be crippling.

annielou1 Fri 24-Jun-11 08:36:59

Thanks for your really helpful tips. I will try and up my fluid intake and not drink so much coffee, i live on the stuff! I currently take citalopram for depression and anxiety, have a long history of depression but being tired all the time is half the reason why i get depressed! You say you used to suffer with this, does it just get better with time and obviously lifestyle management? Just want this constant ill feeling to go away!

chocaholic73 Fri 24-Jun-11 09:30:31

I don't have CFS/ME but as a Mum who knows how tiring a young baby can be and also has a 19 year old daughter with CFS/ME, I thought I would chip in. It is really, really important that you pace yourself ie don't push yourself until you drop. Does your son sleep during the day? Then you should rest at that time rather than rush around madly trying to get things done around the house. I know how difficult it is to not do things, but if you push yourself too hard you will not improve. Is there anyone who can take your son for short periods? Are you with your son's father? If so, it is important he realises how hard things are for you and contributes by letting you rest when he is around. My daughter has found the Perrin Technique has really helped her, but it is certainly not a cure, and is very expensive. The reality is what works for one person, doesn't help for the next but I cannot stress how important it is for you not to overdo things. I will check back to see how you're getting on.

bacon Fri 24-Jun-11 13:43:02

There is eviedence that there is a link between anxiety type people and CFS including me.

Mine started in late twenties (over 10yrs ago) and now I'm about 75/80% better.

I stopped the pills as they messed me up made my condition worse. ADs made my Anxiety terrible. I went for Cognative therepy which works on controlling your mind not the other way around.

I tried all these other so called alternative remedies, pills etc and all a waste of time. There is no eviedence that any of these work.

Def lifestyle change, excercise management, strict sleep patterns, excellent diet (sorry no elimination of anything - just sensible eating). You dont need to drink anymore water if you have a good diet as most foods contain fluids which are adequate for your body needs - this is a myth to consume more water. Again a good diet - buy the best fresh foods - better quality meat (direct from farms) a good balanced menu. You do not need to take any vits or minerals too. Alcohol makes my condition worse too.

Since my life has been so busy, running a business, a happier lifestyle where i am pushed to the limit motivates me. You must have lots of hobbies/interests so you can focus on.

Pegasi Fri 24-Jun-11 18:09:12

Hi
I have had CFS/ME since 2007. It forced me to give up my career as a professional event rider and horse breeder :-( I now have my own business which means I can juggle my own hours and work load now. I still find it very difficult and struggle regularly but my family are very supportive and although I rattle my doctor and consultant are also quite helpful.
What I ding most difficult is explaining to people that is wrong with me, why I use a walking stick or even a scooter sometimes and why sometimes I just have to say No because I know I won't be able to cope.
My daughter is four in august and starts school this September which will make life slightly easier in some ways.
Having other CFS/ME friends to compare notes with is useful and can keep you sane or slightly saner lol grin

hiddenhome Fri 24-Jun-11 18:22:10

Mine went away after taking the Rhodiola for about two years.

When I was put onto citalopram I found that I was suffering from chronic daytime tiredness again, so I started taking it last thing at night and I'm fine now.

I also found that getting enough rest and improving my lifestyle helped too - more healthy food and some exercise.

I often start to flag around 3pm, so I have a cup of milky coffee and that seems to get me going again. Try not to drink very much coffee though as you get rebound tiredness. The same goes with sugar.

annielou1 Sat 25-Jun-11 23:15:34

Thanks everyone for your replies. It helps to know there are people out there who can empathise! It is hard trying to make people understand, my partner does his best and puts up with me moaning everyday but now and then we row over the chores and who is the most tired! It really gets me down having to justify my tiredness, and its even taken me a while to accept i have cfs, for ages i was convinced i had a terminal illness and must have been dying, especially as theres no diagnostic blood test available. I try and rest when my baby sleeps but find i can't switch off plus i wake up feeling rotten after only a short nap! I will try some of the tips mentioned, its just hard to focus on myself now. My mum also has cfs so she can only manage looking after my son for a few hours at a time, my partners mum is good and i should probably take her up on her offers to watch him more often but for some reason i don't like to leave him for too long!

CFSKate Sun 26-Jun-11 08:43:39

Hi annielou1 - there is a long discussion about ME here.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/1105040-Could-I-have-mild-ME

edrisco1 Mon 27-Jun-11 12:12:24

Hi - I am a father and not a mother so hope I'm allowed on!! My life came to a shuddering halt in 2007 when I was crippled by exhaustion, IBS and a brain that would shut down after 5 minutes of conversation or reading. I was diagnosed with CFS/ME by a leading neurologist in the field and was fortunate enough to have money to throw at the problem. I tried everything but wondered if I would ever pick up my daughter and was so low when I saw friends enjoying time with their kids. In May 2009 I did something called the Lightning Process and it transformed my life. I didn't believe for a moment it could work, the illness was too severe and the testimonials too incredulous but 3 days later I knew I knew how to rebuild my life, and relatively quickly. Two years on and it's cost me less than £1 a day for being able to live every day fully and healthily. This weekend I went on a school camping trip with my daughter and that's just amazing! There's a lot of controversy about the Lightning Process but having done it I can't see why, there just seems to be a lot of passion and emotion out there about this illness.

DazR Mon 27-Jun-11 12:35:53

Hi - I have a 17 year old daughter who was officially diagnosed with CFS/ME in Feb this year (but has had symptoms for much longer). She was very limited in what she could do - had to cut down college to half days (if she was able), was light sensitive, nauseaus/sick, had headaches, was dizzy, suffered from insomnia and was extremely fatigued. We were recommended to try the Lightning Process by our hospital consultant (it is having NHS trials this year) so booked a course in April. My daughter was SO much better after the 3 short days of the course. You learn a technique to stop the ME symptoms. It is difficult to explain - and it is controversial BUT we personally know of several people who it really has helped. You need to apply the techniques as often as you need them. My daughter is back to swim training, late night parties, started learning to drive, shopping - she really has got her life back - she started back full time at college two weeks ago. I think it is definitely worth considering - it may not be for you - but have a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now