Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Severe dyskaryosis

(14 Posts)
Piggyleroux Thu 23-Jun-11 17:25:21

had a smear last week, got letter today saying I have severe dyskaryosis and need a colposcopy. I am going out of my mind with worry which got worse because the hospital rang me today to make an appointment for the 12th July.

I have convinced myself I have cancer and will die. Anyone else been through this?

eclipse Thu 23-Jun-11 18:12:23

Try not to worry. I have had a range of dodgy results over the years and I have found the system to get increasingly efficient so speed of referral should not worry you unduly.
The colposcopy itself is not majorly different from a smear and it basically means they have a look and see if treatment is needed. It's normally done on the day, in my experience, and then you go for a re-check 6 months later. It's highly unlikely to be any more serious than that. They will probably take a biopsy to check cells to be certain. The colposcopy docs always reassured me that even with severe dyskayosis, things only develop quite slowly, hence the timing of the screening.
I'm sure someone with some medical knowledge will be able to reassure you more.

ellaeleven Fri 24-Jun-11 09:46:19

I had the same experience last Summer and the speed of the whole process made me think it was really serious. I actually got a call from the hospital to arrange a pre op appointment before I got my smear result in the post. Of course it actually went very smoothly and I'd had no reason for the sleepless nights thinking I would never see my dd's grow up. I had a general anaesthetic and a cone biopsy in which they removed all the cells (I had the all-clear at 6 month check-up). I went in early morning and was out by midday. There were so many other women in there having the same procedure for severe dyskaryosis. It was like a conveyor belt and I might add most of them seemed to be younger, in their twenties and didnt seem half as worried as me. they were just concerned with how soon they could get back to work. Just want to try and put your mind at rest. Now you will have regular smears every year for 10 years so they will really keep an eye on you and catch anything quickly before it has a chance to turn into anything sinister.
Good luck. It will be fine. Honest.smile

yummychoccycake Fri 24-Jun-11 18:06:41

Hi,

I recieved that same letter (the severe part) and like you im going crazy with worry, ive been in floods all day.
I have 3 young children and all sorts keeps going through my mind, im so scared.
I spoke to my local hospital about an appointment but i'll be on my period the date they gave me and they said they wont leave it any later so hopefully i may have it next wk.
I just want them to get rid of it all now.

Good luck and im with you on this onexx

BelaLugosiinStripes Fri 24-Jun-11 22:18:30

Hi
There are some useful links on [http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/1244634-negative-results-of-smear-test on this]] thread.

TruthSweet Sat 25-Jun-11 20:57:27

I had a severe dyskaryosis result recently and had 3 biopsies done with the colposcopy. I got told during the colposcopy I would need a GA and have the rest of the growths/whatevers removed.

I was really really scared then but I got the results of the biopsies back a few days ago and there was nothing further to do except have smears every 3 months for the near future. Thankfully!

Really hope you get a similar outcome soon.

stinkyfluffycat Sat 25-Jun-11 21:03:38

I had the same letter too and absolutely crapped myself because it said 'severe', but when I phoned the hospital and wailed down the phone at them she said that IF left untreated, there would be about a 1 in 10 chance of it turning into cancer in about ten years, so much less urgent/scary than the letter made it sound..
Obviously go and get checked out but don't panic (easier said than done I know..)

Vonni1 Wed 06-Jul-11 10:50:19

Hi All,

Sorry this thread is old but this is the first time i have logged on. Don't have any Children but the thread above has helped me. I am only 25 and had my 1st smear (they wouldn't do one for me until i turned 25). Got the letter yesterday telling me I had severe dyskaryosis and will need the colposcopy and treatment. No appointment from the hospital yet but totally crapped myself. Really upset and panicky. I understand it's not Cancer but can't stop myself thinking the worst. I am such a worrier anyway! Just wanted to see if anyone had any more advice... help.

Just as it's my 1st one and I can't help thinking I might have had it for ages!

BelaLugosiinStripes Wed 06-Jul-11 23:26:47

Hi
Hope you will find this link useful.
Bear in mind cervical screening works because abnormalities develop slowly and are readily treatable. There are many more pre-cancers compared to actual cancers so it's small risk.
You should get an appointment within a week, if you don't then give your surgery a ring. Please try not to worry smile

Vonni1 Thu 07-Jul-11 11:33:43

Hi Thank you for that, I spoke to my Doctor yesterday and he reassured me not to lose sleep over it. The test would have shown something worse and whatever is going on down there they will treat and then bring me back for regular checks.

My Appointment is next week so it is just the waiting now. Hopefully the event wont be too traumatic for me!

BabylonElf Sat 22-Dec-12 11:44:28

I've received a letter telling me I too have severe dyskaryosis.

My smears have been every 6 months for sometime due to changing cells, but this is the first time I have received a letter this quick telling me I need further investigation and treatment.

I've got three DCs, the youngest just 8 months, my last smear before this one was before I got pregnant with ds.

I'm quite scared tbh. sad

rabbitstew Sat 22-Dec-12 18:22:14

I got that, too, shortly after birth of ds2, having had regular smears before that for changes which never required treatment (borderline, normal, normal, CIN1, normal, normal, etc, etc...). I was treated (abnormality cut out by Loop excision - ie a heated piece of wire...), the abnormality never came back, I have been on annual smears for quite some time since with no further abnormalities detected - you have annual smears for about 10 years afterwards. So don't worry too much - CIN3 (or severe dyskariosis - it's the same thing) is not treated any differently from CIN1 which doesn't go away by itself, nor any differently from CIN2. And it's so much nicer since being treated that I haven't had the constant changes from normal to abnormal.

BelaLug0si Sat 22-Dec-12 18:40:09

Hi BabylonElf
The screening tests have to reach you within 14 days of the sample being taken now so that's probably why you've got the result letter so quickly.
Check out the link I gave upthread which has some useful information about abnormal results and investigation.

BabylonElf Tue 25-Dec-12 02:06:47

Thanks. They phoned from hospital today to book my appt for 4th January.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now