Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Okay, I'm mithering now but I'm tired and bored: how long did it take you to get off the sofa after laparoscopy?

(32 Posts)
openerofjars Thu 23-Jun-11 16:58:17

I had my op on Tuesday and am still pole-axed & dizzy, proper wet rag behaviour. I had a shower and made toast for DS & myself this morning and had a lovely 2 hour nap afterwards to recover. Not like me at all. I'm not exactly over-active normally, but this is silly.

What was your recovery time like, for a normal minor procedure that didn't lead to horrific infection or complications? Don't be telling me about running a marathon after having triplets by X-section, either. I have relatives doing that job for me already.hmm

Madlizzy Thu 23-Jun-11 17:20:27

Well, I've had the triplets but no marathons here. grin It did take a few days for the GA to work its way out of my system. You should start feeling a bit better tomorrow.

Elibean Thu 23-Jun-11 18:08:42

It took me longer than I expected - maybe 3-4 days, and I was walking like a duck as I recall.

Don't worry, its normal to feel washed out after a GA...and the fact that you're mithering is a good sign: convalescence is setting in wink

VivaLeBeaver Thu 23-Jun-11 18:12:25

Five days for the first one. The next day for the second one. About 3 or 4 days for the one last week. Ga can knock you for six.

Thinking11 Thu 23-Jun-11 18:16:17

I'm fed up of recovering now too. I had a laporotomy (c section type cut) to remove a large dermoid cyst along with the ovary and tube on one side and a small dermoid cyst on the other ovary. Its been pretty emotional as Im TTC and I wasnt expecting such a big op.

I have been off work 6 weeks and i went back on Tuesday working only mornings, im a reception teacher in charge of a large unit of 60 kids so theres no way im up to full days.

Ive just been having a little cry at how hard im finding things, I felt like i was getting back to normal before i went back to work and now i feel dreadful. Im exhausted, i have reports and assessments to catch up on and to top it all off im hungry and dont have the energy to cook.

Sorry i really havent helped you but i feel like i need to vent.

Hope you are feeling better soon

openerofjars Thu 23-Jun-11 19:04:08

Sending you un-Mumsnetty hugs, poor you.

Takeaway? I have had 2 cold veg samosas from Sainsbo's for tea.

My family is being loud and bouncy at me so I'm going off to hide in bed again for a bit.

Thinking11 Thu 23-Jun-11 19:08:31

I settled for super noodles and a yoghurt, im trying to stay off the takeaways.

Im feeling pretty sorry for myself, I live alone and now that im back at work I feel that everyone thinks im ok. My house is a mess and I can't manage the hoover yet and i'd just love a bit of help but im far too independant to ask.

openerofjars Thu 23-Jun-11 19:29:38

Aw, mate. You've done it alone so far but if you're exhausted and tearful 6 weeks on, ask for help. It's okay to do that. No-one's going to think you're crap. Plus, having your home looking nice will lift your mood a bit if you're anything like me (was hanging washing on a dryer on my knees this afternoon, FFS).

Is there a friend, relative or even colleague who could help? I am considering asking my MIL after only 3 days (and I am not at all houseproud) because DH cannot see mess. He is great with other things like food, childcare etc, just can't seem to work out the relationship between rubbish & bin. And it is grim now.

Takeaway & ready meals won't kill you, be kind to yourself.

Thinking11 Thu 23-Jun-11 19:39:31

My family and friends have been fantastic , i moved back home with Mum and Dad for two weeks when i came out of the hospital. I just feel that now im back at work they all think im ok now. If i start asking for help and saying just how hard im finding it back at work they will all say I shouldnt be back. I cant have anymore time off work, I was going mad being home all day and ive got assessments and reports to get done.

I guess im just tired and feeling a bit down at the mo.

Thanks for listening to me moan and im sorry for highjacking your post x

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Thu 23-Jun-11 19:43:29

At least a week before anyone can begin to accuse you of malingering

openerofjars Thu 23-Jun-11 19:55:33

Hijack away, it's a free house as far as I'm concerned!

Okay, practicalities: could you get a cleaner in for a bit, just to get the place straight? This is a fantasy of mine & will never happen here, as we are too skint/mean/disorganised, plus I'd have to tidy up first. But could you do it?

Plus, it's harder feeling knackered & grotty when it's gorgeous outside & you can hear ice cream vans & birdsong. I think.

openerofjars Thu 23-Jun-11 19:59:24

Thanks, Jolene! My boss is expecting me back in the classroom on Wed (largely because of my own stupidity: I was v blasé about how crap I might be feeling) but I have an excellent sick record & a sick note for 2 weeks minimum. But I still feel like a berk for insisting I would be back after a week.

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Thu 23-Jun-11 20:02:50

Definitely use up your sick note

openerofjars Thu 23-Jun-11 20:08:22

grin

I promised to call tomorrow to let them know how I'm doing. [fool emoticon]

Thinking11 Thu 23-Jun-11 20:22:49

Ive looked at cleaners but I think I might just swallow my pride and ring mum later and ask for a bit of help tomorrow. I suppose she's ready for a break too, she's done loads for me the past 6 weeks.

Are you sure you'll be ready to got back to work so soon Jolene? If you still have a sick note you might not be insured to be in work. What age do you teach? will you be able to teach from your desk or are the kids younger and needing you to be on your feet all day?

Ive found going back to school mentally draining as much as physically. Having to jump back in with two feet to end of year assessments, reports,[parents evening, trips, plans for next year etc etc etc oh the joys of schools at the end of the summer term

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Thu 23-Jun-11 20:42:01

When you speak to them tomorrow say you are not feeling as well as you hoped, the ga is still leaving you dizzy and that you will need all the time off.

Thinking11 Thu 23-Jun-11 20:54:33

sorry openerofjars ive just realised I got your names mixed up and called you Jolene.

openerofjars Thu 23-Jun-11 21:21:55

I teach adults, but it's pretty much 9 to 5 ( wink Jolene) 3 days a week, so would be straight back in with a vengeance on Wed.

Plus, I've just started bleeding, like a period, not from my stitches, but I am still going to be massively cautious & gentle with myself tomorrow.

Thinking11 Thu 23-Jun-11 21:29:29

well my mum has just phoned and I broke down in tears. She feels awful for not being here and she's coming while im at work tomorrow to clean my house and cook my tea!

I hate not being myself!

openerofjars Thu 23-Jun-11 21:36:22

Oh, bless her. That is so nice of her. Mine is like that too, except this week, when she is on a Spanish language course in actual Spain and is currently getting pissed at a fiesta envy.

Right, I've decided to go back on the codeine as I'm dizzy & sleepy anyway & might as well be all warm & fuzzy with it. Plus, normal painkillers are crap.

.ight night, & so glad your mum is coming tomorrow.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 23-Jun-11 23:01:13

If you have a sick note you're not allowed back to work until it's run out. Unless you go back to gp and get a fit for work cert.

openerofjars Fri 24-Jun-11 11:54:52

Really? Well, I'm going to maintain to my boss that my mere ignorance of that just shows what a great sick record I have...

I've phoned today & left a msg with a colleague for my boss to call me as there is no way I would manage the commute, let alone 13 hours of teaching over 2 days in this state. If I went back today I wouldn't manage the walk from the car park to the staff room.

I feel a bit sorry for myself today, actually: I'm having a heavy period a week early, I haven't had a poo since Tuesday (sorry) & I slept badly because I felt like my feet were higher than my head all night and kept I breaking out in sweats.

sad

How are you doing today, Thinking?

orangeflutie Fri 24-Jun-11 14:20:35

I had a laparoscopy three weeks ago and am now pretty much back to normal apart from some pain where I had my cyst removed.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. I didn't move from the sofa much the first week and felt just like you, very wobbly and sleepy. I also had a head full of cotton wool. You should start to feel quite a lot better halfway through the second week. I was amazed at how tired and washed out I felt and also quite down and tearful.

I would definitely stay on the codeine as long as you need it although it does make you constipated. Oh the joys! I gave the doctor a ring and got some movicol and then at least I had one last thing to worry aboutsmile

You will feel better soon honestly. Take care x

orangeflutie Fri 24-Jun-11 14:21:25

Oops 'one less thing'

Thinking11 Fri 24-Jun-11 20:47:34

I think you are doing the best thing staying off work a little longer. Don't rush it, you never have time off so people will know that you must need it.

Im having a better day today. I made sure I was less active at work today and I came home to find my mum at my house. She had cleaned from top to toe, changed my bedding, emptied and filled the dish washer, washed, dried and ironed my washing, made me a sandwich and preparred a meal in the oven for my tea.

Ive just decided to treat myself to a can of guinness, ive not had a drink since i started trying to concieve in January and I thought a one off wounldnt hurt.

Hope you're feeling better soon and take all the painkillers you need!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now