Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Perforated ear

(4 Posts)
Tasha4 Thu 23-Jun-11 15:26:17

This is my first time writing so apologies I do not know all the lingo. My daughter (my 1st child) has a perforated ear drum and is on AB's. Although the ear drum burst nearly a week ago, she is in severe pain and constantly crying/screaming. GP has advised it can take 4-6 weeks to heal and it is the popping sensations that are causing her pain but we can do no more than continue with the AB's for the infection and Calpol & Nurofen for the pain. The painkillers still do not seem to be relieving her pain and it hurts to see her so upset and the lack of sleep is also taking it's toll on me. Can anyone recommend anything to help us?

DeWe Thu 23-Jun-11 15:44:16

I'd take her back if it's still hurting. My experience with ds is that it seems to stop hurting after its burst, and he's had it a lot, so it doesn't sound normal.
Is it really that she's in pain, or are the popping noises frightening her, or feel funny or something strange like that? Make sure she doesn't get water in it when you're washing hair, or could she have put something in her ear thinking it would stop the pain? Or is it the other ear that's now threatening to burst?

Tasha4 Thu 23-Jun-11 16:27:02

Thanks DeWe. I'm not sure whether it is pain or she is frightened like you suggest, she's only 12 weeks and I can't tell. The GP had a look in the other ear and couldn't see anything bar wax. I so wish she could tell me what's wrong sad

drsharryn Sat 02-Jul-11 00:06:34

Did it definitely burst and pour stuff out?
Sounds very unusual @ this age. Try again ? 2nd opinion

www.drsharryn.wordpress.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now